Pietersen denied permission to leave tour midwayMarch 30th, 2009 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 30 (IANS) England captain Andrew Strauss has blocked Kevin Pietersen’s request to fly home.
Pietersen asked for permission to return to London for 48 hours before the third One-day international against the West Indies at Barbados Friday.
The hangover from Pietersen’s removal as England captain has lingered throughout this tour, and the batsman claimed he was “at the end of my tether” last week.
“The permission was not granted because we are on a cricket tour and it sets a bad precedent if people can go home during cricket tours,” said Strauss.
“He (Pietersen) understood that fully and it wasn’t an issue by any means. He’s been very supportive in the tour, he’s been very professional in the way he’s prepared himself,” Strauss was quoted as saying in British media Monday.
Strauss said he had spoken to Pietersen over his comments about Shiv Chanderpaul, when he controversially labelled the West Indies batsman as “selfish”.
“I’ve had a chat to him about what he said and I think it’s completely dealt with as far as we’re concerned.
“I don’t think anything he said was in a malicious manner and we move on from there and hopefully lessons have been learned,” said Strauss.
England and the West Indies are locked 2-2 in the five match series.
England are waiting to discover whether Pietersen will be fit for Friday’s decider while Andrew Flintoff is expected to recover after hurting his left thumb in the field.
- Chanderpaul defying England in Lord's Test - May 20, 2012
- Pietersen, Flintoff fighting for fitness ahead of final ODI - Mar 30, 2009
- Samuels has proven his point, says Gibson - May 29, 2012
- Flower backs out-of-sorts Strauss on eve of squad announcement - May 13, 2012
- We want to drill fear into the opposition: Pietersen - Aug 15, 2011
- McGrath calls for 'chin music' against Strauss to derail England's Ashes campaign - Nov 17, 2010
- Strauss tells KP to keep his mouth shut - Mar 30, 2009
- Pietersen not the right man to captain England: Swann - Oct 10, 2011
- Pietseren's jab at South African-born cricketers in England team - Jul 17, 2011
- England preparing to cope with Pietersen's absence - May 01, 2010
- England consolidate their lead in Test rankings - Jun 12, 2012
- Feels strange to be back in England, says Fletcher - Jul 14, 2011
- England will stay No.1 for a long time: Harminson - Oct 08, 2011
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: andrew flintoff, andrew strauss, barbados, batsman, chanderpaul, cricket tour, cricket tours, decider, england captain, fly, hangover, kevin pietersen, london march, match, midway, thumb, west indies