Pickpocketing on rise, killing on decline in BritainJuly 20th, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 20 (IANS) Britain is witnessing a rise in pickpocketing and stealing incidents whereas killings have fallen to a 30-year-low, The Sun reported Friday.
According to the Crime Survey for England and Wales, pickpocketing soared 17 percent with roughly 1,700 “thefts from person” a day. Bag snatching, thefts from gardens, especially of furniture, and metal theft also rose.
However, official statistics revealed killings have fallen to the lowest level for almost 30 years, as police in Britain recorded 550 murders, manslaughters and infanticides in 2011-12, the lowest since 1983 and down from 638 as registered a year ago.
In England and Wales, homicides nearly halved since a peak of 1,047 in 2002-03.
According to the Office for National Statistics, two-thirds of the crimes were domestic incidents. Overall recorded crime fell four percent to under four million for the first time since 1989.
Policing Minister Nick Herbert, however, said it proved the link between the crime rate and budget cuts was “spurious”.
- Baby boom as UK couples warm up in the cold - Mar 27, 2011
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- Kenya's 69 is the fifth lowest in World Cup - Feb 20, 2011
- Spring has sprung in Britain - Mar 01, 2012
- 40,000 British policemen may lose their jobs - Sep 10, 2010
- Once sewers, UK's rivers are now the cleanest in 150 years - Dec 31, 2010
- Bulgarian women gang jailed for London pickpocketing - Aug 04, 2012
- Married couples less likely to split up than cohabiting pairs - Mar 26, 2010
- UK is Europe's most violent crime capital: European Commission - Jul 02, 2009
- Delhi witnesses four percent surge in crime - Jan 06, 2012
- It's official: It was the coldest December in Britain in 120 years - Jan 01, 2011
- Race-related hate crimes growing at alarming rates in UK - Dec 01, 2010
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
- British police hunt for 30,000 rioters - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: britain london, budget cuts, crime rate, crime survey, crimes, decline, domestic incidents, england and wales, furniture, homicides, killings, murders, national statistics, nick herbert, official statistics, pickpocketing, sun, two thirds