Picasso’s ‘Sylvette’ breaks auction record in SydneyJune 18th, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
By Neena Bhandari
Sydney, June 18 (IANS) A Pablo Picasso masterpiece Wednesday fetched Australian $6.9 million, breaking an Australian art auction record. Picasso’s ‘Sylvette’ painted in 1954, when the artist was in his eighties and living at the Cote d’Azur in southeastern France, went under the hammer at the Deutscher Menzies Galleries in suburban Kensington here.
After a brief bidding war of about 90 seconds between few phone bidders, an unknown buyer has become the proud owner of the masterpiece, snapped for $5.75 million or Australian $6.9 million including a buyer’s premium.
The ponytail, long neck and young face of Sylvette David is recognisable in the brightly coloured, abstract portrait. Picasso is said to have been infatuated by this young muse and produced over 40 paintings and drawings of her.
The painting was formerly part of the collection of the director of the gallery, Rodney Menzies.
“He (Menzies) wants to show that Sydney is the New York of the art world in the southern hemisphere, and that we can sell to the international community,” gallery spokeswoman Marie Geissler said.
The identity of the successful bidder has not been disclosed but it is believed to be a collector from Europe or Russia, where those in the art world say collectors are on “red alert” for quality Picassos, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- Asian buyers start appearing on Christie's radar - Nov 16, 2010
- Spotlight on M.F. Husain, price consciousness (Art Fair Review) - Jan 30, 2012
- Presenting, 'master' Picasso with 'fan' Souza in East-West showcase (With Images) - Dec 19, 2011
- Czech police look for stolen Picasso, Renoir paintings - Jul 12, 2012
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- Picasso stolen from Athens National Gallery - Jan 10, 2012
- 28 stolen art pieces worth $3.5 mn found in Spain - Dec 21, 2010
- Picasso's 'Nude, Green Leaves and Bust' fetches record $106m at Christie's - May 05, 2010
- London art fair to highlight Husain's work - Feb 16, 2011
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- Banderas to play Picasso in '33 Dias' - Feb 20, 2012
- Picasso, most stolen artist - Jan 29, 2012
- A free fair for young artists to sell art directly to buyers - Jul 12, 2012
- 1,000 artists, 20 countries - India Art Fair cometh - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: abstract portrait, art auction, art world, auction record, australian art, australian broadcasting corporation, bhandari, bidding war, community gallery, cote d azur, geissler, neena, pablo picasso, paintings and drawings, phone bidders, picasso masterpiece, picassos, southeastern france, southern hemisphere, sylvette