Picasso drawings stolen from Paris museumJune 10th, 2009 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
Paris, June 10 (EFE) A sketchbook containing drawings by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso has been stolen from the Picasso Museum in Paris, the police said.
The sketchbook, which contained some 30 drawings and valued at between seven and 10 million euros ($9.8-$14 million), was stolen either Monday or Tuesday when the museum was closed to general public, the police said.
The heist was made without causing any damage to the museum, which is located in a 17th century baroque palace. Museum workers discovered the theft when they were making an inventory.
The sketchbook was seen Monday in the glass case in which it is displayed but on Tuesday it was not there, said the police.
According to France’s culture ministry, the sketchbook contained 33 drawings collected in a 16×24 centimeter (6.3×9.5 inches) format and its cover has the inscription “Album” in gilded letters.
The Picasso Museum is being remodelled and so the most important works housed there have been loaned to other institutions with the twofold aim of facilitating the refurbishing work and financing it.
This is the latest robbery of works by the Malaga-born painter and follows one in February 2007 when thieves removed from the Paris home of Diana Widmaier-Picasso, a granddaughter of the artist, two of his works valued at some 50 million euros ($70 million).
- Picasso painting stolen from Paris museum - May 20, 2010
- Frenchman who 'heard Diana's dying words' exposed as a common thief - Nov 02, 2010
- 600M Worth of Picasso, Matisse, Modigliani Paintings Stolen! - May 20, 2010
- Banderas to play Picasso in '33 Dias' - Feb 20, 2012
- 271 Picasso works found with French couple - Jun 14, 2011
- Truck carrying $6.5 mn in art works stolen in Spain - Dec 03, 2010
- Bunch of unseen Picasso paintings found in France - Nov 30, 2010
- 28 stolen art pieces worth $3.5 mn found in Spain - Dec 21, 2010
- Picasso stolen from Athens National Gallery - Jan 10, 2012
- Stolen Picasso paintings found in Serbia - Oct 08, 2011
- World's richest man to set up art museum in Mexico - Jan 23, 2011
- Diego Rivera sketches undergo restoration - Mar 02, 2012
- Robbery takes places at ancient Olympia Museum - Feb 17, 2012
- Picasso drawing thief arrested - Jul 08, 2011
- Stolen Picasso recovered in US - Jul 16, 2011
Tags: 10 million, 17th century, 50 million, baroque palace, centimeter, culture ministry, diana widmaier picasso, glass case, granddaughter, heist, important works, museum in paris, pablo picasso, paris museum, picasso museum, robbery, sketchbook, spanish artist, thieves, twofold aim