Picasso drawing stolen from SF art galleryJuly 7th, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
San Francisco, July 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A drawing by Picasso has been stolen from an art gallery in San Francisco. The police are hunting for the thief who grabbed the drawing and escaped in a waiting taxi just outside the gallery. The gallery says the drawing which was created in 1965 and titled “Tete de Femme” is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The drawing was on display at the Weinstein Gallery near Union Square and police say the thief grabbed the drawing from the wall on Tuesday and walked out with it under his arm. The police are now counting on the general public to assist them to retrieve the piece back and apprehend the thief. The police have subsequently given a description of the suspect.
According to the police description, the suspect is believed to be in his 30s. The police say the man was wearing dark glasses and loafers when he stole the drawing from the gallery. The police asked the public to be on the lookout for someone who will want to sell the drawing.
The gallery is still open to the public and there are other paintings on display. Works from Salvador Dali, Marc Chagall and Joan Miro are still on display at the gallery.
- Picasso drawing thief arrested - Jul 08, 2011
- Stolen Picasso recovered in US - Jul 16, 2011
- Picasso, most stolen artist - Jan 29, 2012
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- Spotlight on M.F. Husain, price consciousness (Art Fair Review) - Jan 30, 2012
- 1,000 artists, 20 countries - India Art Fair cometh - Jan 18, 2012
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- Bring a slice of Rodin's legacy home - for Rs.6 lakh - Feb 02, 2011
- Presenting, 'master' Picasso with 'fan' Souza in East-West showcase (With Images) - Dec 19, 2011
- US art dealer gives Cuba works by Picasso, Warhol - Jan 27, 2010
- Clumsy visitors posing threat to British art - Oct 30, 2011
- Print making now part of Indian artscape (With Images) - Jun 21, 2011
- Picasso stolen from Athens National Gallery - Jan 10, 2012
- Dali exhibit opens in Mexico - Jan 25, 2010
- Czech police look for stolen Picasso, Renoir paintings - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: art gallery, dark glasses, hundreds of thousands, joan miro, loafers, lookout, marc chagall, paintings, picasso, salvador dali, san francisco, sf art, taxi, thief, thousands of dollars, union square, weinstein gallery, worth hundreds