‘Phone call’ that led to emergency in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:26 am ICT by admin
The agencies intercepted a call from former CJ’s phone few days ago in which he even disclosed the number of judges favouring and opposing this decision, and this forced the top policymakers to devise the emergency plan, the official said.
The official, working closely with one of the Presidential aides, further said that the government took extra time in execution of this plan so as to make it safer.
“They have been holding clandestine meetings for the last few nights, which cost them almost an extra day than the estimated time to execute the emergency plan,” the official disclosed.
“Iftikhar Chaudhry told his friend that eight judges gave their opinion against Musharraf, while three others were in his favour,” the official said adding that this information was substantial for secret agencies to take the extreme action of emergency imposition.
Meanwhile, it was learnt that former premier Benzir Bhutto recommended the name of Justice Abdul Hamid Dogar for new Chief Justice of Pakistan, The Nation reported.
“The top government quarters took Bhutto in confidence on the issue and she nodded in favour of Mr Dogar,” the official stated.
To authenticate his information, he said that Justice Dogar was appointed by Bhutto in 1995.
Meanwhile, another source revealed that a midnight crackdown against lawyers’ community was expected while the judges refusing to take a fresh oath under new PCO were being put under house arrest. (ANI)
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- Pakistani chief justice withdraws from emergency era case - Oct 30, 2009
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Pak Chief Justice to decide if Musharraf should be prosecuted for defying SC order - Feb 03, 2011
- Musharraf cronies, PPP backing Asma to beat Pak CJ loyalists in SCBA polls - Oct 27, 2010
- Pak intelligence agencies "cloaked in veil of impunity": Pak editorial - Nov 26, 2010
- Review sought of Pakistani Supreme Court's verdict on emergency - Oct 29, 2009
- Image of independent judiciary necessary for Pakistan, says Pakistan's Chief Justice - Feb 06, 2011
- Iftikhar Chaudhry returns Sunday as Pakistan's chief justice - Mar 21, 2009
- Pak SC terms emergency imposed by Musharraf as illegal, unconstitutional - Jul 31, 2009
- Britain can't arrest Musharraf for lack of treaty, court told - Apr 23, 2011
- Stamping out corruption main task: Iftikhar Chaudhry - Mar 24, 2009
- Pakistani daily lauds chief justice for not sparing son - Jun 08, 2012
- Musharraf 'shedding crocodile tears', says ex- Pak SCBA chief - Sep 19, 2009
Tags: abdul hamid, bhutto, chief justice of pakistan, clandestine meetings, emergency plan, extra time, extreme action, favour, government official, government quarters, house arrest, imposition, musharraf, new chief justice, pco, policymakers, presidential aides, secret agencies