Philippines declares outbreak of deadly rat feverJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 3:22 am ICT by IANS
Manila, Jan 3 (IANS) Health authorities in the Philippines have declared an outbreak of a deadly rat fever in the flood-hit areas of the country’s southern region.
At least five people have died and as many as 200 diagnosed in the southern city of Cagayan de Oro with leptospirosis, a fatal animal-borne disease that can result in high fever, internal bleeding and organ failure, Xinhua reported.
Tropical storm Washi brought massive rains, leading to flooding in many areas of the country’s central and southern regions since Dec 16 in 2011.
Jaime Bernadas, regional health minister, said the number of patients displaced by Washi could increase in the coming days.
Congressman Rufus Rodriguez has called on people affected by the floods that killed over 1,200 people to avail of the government’s vaccination against the deadly disease.
Presently, the toll caused by Washi stands at 1,258 people with many still believed to be missing.
- Philippine rat fever toll reaches 15 - Jan 05, 2012
- Philippine typhoon toll crosses 490 (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- 2,000 fall sick in Philippines relief centres - Aug 10, 2012
- Philippines typhoon toll rises to 327 - Dec 18, 2011
- 170 dead in typhoon in Philippines (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Death toll in Thai floods and mudslides reaches 61 - Apr 09, 2011
- Pakistan donates $50,000 to Philippines - Jun 14, 2012
- UN helps children in storm-hit Philippines - Dec 29, 2011
- Viral fever hits Kerala's Alappuzha - May 01, 2011
- Toll in Philippines tropical storm rises to 1,236 - Dec 25, 2011
- 90 die in Philippines floods - Aug 13, 2012
- 50 dead in storm, floods in Philippines - Dec 17, 2011
- South Asia: Hot spot for cross-border diseases - Aug 14, 2012
- 'Cubans immune to dozens of diseases' - Jan 09, 2012
- Floods recede in northeast; thousands still in shelters - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: borne disease, congressman, deadly disease, flood, floods, health authorities, health minister, high fever, massive rains, organ failure, outbreak, philippines, regional health, rufus, s central, southern regions, tropical storm, vaccination, xinhua