Philippines claims major victory over militant groupFebruary 22nd, 2010 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Feb 22 (IANS) The Philippine government said Monday it achieved an important victory over an Al Qaeda-linked militant group after the death of a top leader of the outfit in an operation.
Albader Parad, leader of the Abu Sayyaf terror group, was killed in a military operation Sunday in Sulu province in southern Philippines. Some his associates were also killed, Xinhua reported.
“We view this as an important victory in the continuing military battle against the terrorists group. We have confidence and we wish more military successes in the field,” deputy presidential spokesperson Gary Olivar said.
Parad was involved in the kidnapping of three members of the International Committee of the Red Cross last year, and in the abduction of 21 people in Sipadan Diving Resort in Malaysia in 2001.
Olivar also said the military campaign is complemented by the government’s peace and development efforts.
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines escapes, to return home (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Militants kill three hostages in Philippines - Jun 12, 2010
- Indian who dodged Philippine rebels to return by Tuesday - Aug 11, 2012
- Emergency declared as beheading deadline up in Philippines - Mar 31, 2009
- Eight killed as Philippine marines, rebels clash - Jun 11, 2009
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Kidnappers demand $5 mn for kidnapped Red Cross staff - Jan 18, 2009
- Over 40 killed in Philippines fighting - Aug 13, 2009
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- Five militants killed in Philippines - Nov 03, 2009
- At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in Philippines - Feb 14, 2011
- Militants behead hostage in Philippines - May 18, 2009
Tags: abduction, abu sayyaf, al qaeda, development efforts, diving resort, international committee, militant group, military battle, military campaign, military operation, military successes, olivar, philippine government, resort in malaysia, southern philippines, spokesperson, terror group, terrorists, victory, xinhua