Philippines celebrates Pacquiao’s victory over HattonMay 3rd, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, May 3 (DPA) The Philippines erupted in euphoria Sunday as Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao knocked out Britain’s Ricky Hatton in the second round, making history as one of the world’s greatest fighters in the ring.
With the win, Pacquiao matched a boxing record of holding titles in six different weight divisions.
Millions of Filipinos who packed cinemas, restaurants and public gymnasiums to watch the fight cheered and shouted when Pacquiao sent Hatton flat on his back with a left hook in the second round.
“Manny, you’re the greatest,” shouted one man watching the fight in a restaurant in Manila’s Quezon City.
“That was an overwhelming performance we just saw,” his companion added. “Ricky Hatton never had a chance!”
In the first round, Hatton kissed the canvass twice after being pummelled by Pacquiao’s left and right hooks.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, who was on a visit to Cairo, Egypt, hailed the win as another great victory for Pacquiao.
“The president joins the entire nation in jubilation and in thanking God for the spectacular victory of Manny Pacquiao over Ricky Hatton,” press secretary Cerge Remonde said.
“May his victory inspire all of us to triumph against all odds,” he added. “May his example of continuing to learn and improve be emulated by our people, especially the young.”
Remonde, who was with Arroyo in the trip, said that while the president was not able to watch the fight, she and the delegation broke into cheers when they got the news.
- Philippines lauds boxert Pacquiao despite defeat - Jun 10, 2012
- Pacquiao willing to fight Mayweather Junior - Jan 11, 2012
- Manny Pacquiao Thrashes Antonio Margarito - Nov 14, 2010
- Benigno Aquino III sworn in as Philippines' president - Jun 30, 2010
- Filipino boxer Pacquiao hails WBO decision - Jun 21, 2012
- Manny Pacquiao Lives Up To The Expectations Of His Fans - Nov 14, 2010
- Media groups, activists protest massacre in the Philippines - Nov 30, 2009
- Hatton turned to cocaine after defeat depression, says mother - Sep 14, 2010
- Phenomenal Pacquiao knocks-out Hatton in second-round - May 03, 2009
- Manny Pacquiao Wins - Mar 14, 2010
- Pacquiao loses WBO title on split decision - Jun 10, 2012
- LA Galaxy thrash Philippine Azkal 6-1 - Dec 04, 2011
- Brit boxer Khan to help Hatton fight drugs, drinks abuse - Sep 20, 2010
- Manny Pacquiao Vs Antonio Margarito War To Hit Tonight - Nov 14, 2010
- Mayweather vs Pacquiao bout could generate half a billion dollars - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: cairo egypt, cerge remonde, cheers, delegation, euphoria, filipinos, gloria macapagal arroyo, gymnasiums, jubilation, left hook, manny pacquiao, president gloria macapagal, president gloria macapagal arroyo, press secretary, pummelled, quezon city, ricky, ricky hatton, thanking god, weight divisions