Philippine police foil bomb attack on passenger busDecember 31st, 2008 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Dec 31 (DPA) Police in the Philippines Wednesday defused two homemade bombs found inside a passenger bus in the country’s troubled south, officials said.The bombs, made from 81-mm and 60-mm mortar shells, were hidden in abandoned baggage inside the bus in Isulan town, Sultan Kudarat province, 930 km south of Manila.
Police Superintendent Suharto Teng Tucao said bomb experts removed the explosives from bus and safely defused them.
“Passengers immediately got off the bus after they discovered the baggage containing explosives,” he said. “We are thankful the explosives were recovered before they exploded.”
The bus, which was carrying some 40 passengers, was allowed to travel after the bombs were removed.
No suspects have been identified in the bombing attempt. Previous bomb attacks on passenger buses in the southern region of Mindanao have been blamed on extortion groups.
The attempt came amid heightened alert in Mindanao following bombings on two department stores in nearby Iligan City earlier in the month, killing three people and injuring more than 40.
On Tuesday evening, a suspected bomb courier was killed and a police officer was wounded when a homemade bomb planted in a tricycle exploded in Esperanza town, also in Sultan Kudarat.
The police said they suspect the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, the largest Muslim rebel group fighting for an independent Islamic state since 1978, could be involved in the Esperanza blast.
- Remote controlled bomb caused blast in Philippines - Jan 26, 2011
- Indonesian police arrests seven suspects in relation to parcel bomb attacks - Apr 28, 2011
- At least 4 people killed and 14 injured after bus bomb in Philippines - Jan 25, 2011
- Two killed, dozens injured in Philippines twin blasts - Dec 18, 2008
- No one killed in Karachi blast: Police (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- One dead, one injured in explosion in East Java, Indonesia - Mar 25, 2011
- Huge cache of arms, explosives seized in West Bengal - Dec 12, 2010
- Muslim rebel attacks kill 16 in Philippines - Aug 18, 2008
- Nine wounded in Iraq bomb attacks - May 17, 2012
- Philippines typhoon toll rises to 327 - Dec 18, 2011
- Paris airport evacuated over suspected explosive - Jan 25, 2011
- No explosives found in suspicious package in Indonesian resort island - Mar 22, 2011
- 1,000 train passengers escape disaster in Assam (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Second bomb scare in Delhi in five days (Third Lead) - May 30, 2011
- 15 killed in Pak crowded market suicide bomb attack - Dec 08, 2010