Philippine police arrest foreigner for plot to kill presidentFebruary 29th, 2008 - 6:26 pm ICT by admin
Manila, Feb 29 (DPA) Philippine police have arrested a foreigner allegedly involved in a terrorist plot to assassinate scandal-tainted President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and bomb embassies in the country, the national police chief said Friday. Director General Avelino Razon refused to reveal the identity, but said police arrested the suspect three days earlier during operations to probe an alleged plot to kill Arroyo.
He said the suspect had links with the Al Qaeda-linked militant groups Abu Sayyaf and the regional Jemaah Islamiyah.
“We are not going to reveal details about the foreigner because we are still conducting follow-up operations to account for the other companions,” he said.
The plot to assassinate Arroyo and bomb embassies was revealed to the public Feb 14, the eve of a mass demonstration demanding Arroyo’s resignation over accusations of corruption and electoral fraud.
Critics dismissed the alleged plot as a government ploy to scare off people from attending the demonstration.
Thursday, the military warned that Abu Sayyaf rebels or communist guerrillas were planning to launch terror attacks during Friday’s anti-government demonstration in the financial district of Makati to demand Arroyo’s ouster.
The rally will be the third mass protest against Arroyo in the past two weeks since a witness told a senate inquiry that her husband and a key ally had demanded multimillion-dollar kickbacks from an anomalous government contract.
- Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to Indonesia - Aug 10, 2011
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- ISI claims credit for arrest of 2002 Bali bombings suspect in Pakistan - Mar 31, 2011
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- Indonesian hardline Muslim cleric arrested - Aug 09, 2010
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Pakistani-American pleads guilty to terror charges - Mar 01, 2012
- Fresh coup plot in Philippines foiled, five held - Jul 03, 2008
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines escapes, to return home (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Man held in Germany for Al Qaeda links - Dec 09, 2011
- India set to ban 100 Al Qaeda-linked groups - May 16, 2010
- Two Iranian suspects in Bangkok blast released - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: abu sayyaf rebels, avelino, communist guerrillas, electoral fraud, feb 29, foreigner, gloria macapagal arroyo, jemaah islamiyah, kickbacks, mass demonstration, mass protest, militant groups, national police, philippine police, police arrest, president gloria macapagal, president gloria macapagal arroyo, senate inquiry, terror attacks, terrorist plot