Philippine boy accidentally kills dad on Father’s DayJune 22nd, 2009 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, June 22 (DPA) A 6-year-old boy accidentally shot dead his father and injured his mother in a Father’s Day tragedy in the Philippines, police said Monday.
Police officer Hermogenes Capili said the victim, Apolonio Pacioles, 45, was a soldier who had just come home after fighting Muslim rebels in the southern Philippines.
Capili said Pacioles had asked his son to get his 45-calibre pistol from the upstairs bedroom of their house in the suburban city of Quezon on Sunday.
The boy, the youngest of the victim’s three children, got the gun and even removed the magazine as he was taught by his father.
The boy then asked if the gun was loaded, but his father ignored him.
Thinking he had removed all the bullets, the boy cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger.
“But apparently one bullet was left in the chamber,” Capili said, adding that the bullet struck the boy’s father in the abdomen.
The bullet exited Pacioles’ body, hit a door and then grazed the boy’s mother. The mother was released from hospital after treatment.
Capili said no criminal charges would be filed against the boy since he is still a minor.
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- 30 human skeletons found in Philippines - Jul 22, 2012
- Two injured in three robberies in capital - Jan 14, 2011
- Eight-year-old boy sells gun to classmate for $3.50 - Apr 30, 2011
- Four-year-old boy shoots three-year-old girl - Jul 31, 2010
- Ex-army officer gets life term for killing Chennai boy (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Six killed in helicopter crash in Philippines - May 17, 2010
- Former chief of Philippines Armed Forces commits suicide - Feb 08, 2011
- 14,400-year jail term for rapist father in Philippines - Sep 24, 2010
- At least 11 missing as tropical storm 'Falcon' hits Philippines - Jun 24, 2011
- Cory Aquino dies, Philippines declares 10-day mourning (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2009
- Bengal schoolboy brings pistol to shoot principal - Apr 17, 2012
- 7 Year Old Girl Shot by Police While Sleeping on Couch - May 17, 2010
- Glee singer Charice's father killed - Nov 01, 2011
- 12 killed in Philippines plane crash - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: abdomen, bullets, calibre, capili, criminal charges, dad, hammer, hermogenes, muslim rebels, philippines police, pistol, police officer, soldier, southern philippines, suburban city, tragedy, upstairs bedroom