Petrobras announces new findings off Brazil coastMay 23rd, 2008 - 6:48 pm ICT by admin
Rio de Janeiro, May 23 (IANS) Brazil’s state-run energy major Petrobras has announced it found new off-shore oil reserves in the Santos basin off the Sao Paulo coast close to a spot where last year it found large potential reserves. The company said the new field was found in block BM-S-8, which it operates as part of a consortium with Royal Dutch Shell and Portugal’s Galp Energia, EFE news agency reported Friday.
Petrobras holds a 66 percent stake in the consortium, while Shell and Galp have respectively 20 percent and 14 percent shares.
“The consortium has proved the presence of oil in pre-salt reservoirs,” Petrobras said, adding that “preliminary analyses indicate oil gravity is … comparable to that of the other pre-salt oils found in the Santos Basin”.
Petrobras said the pioneer well was located about 250 km off Sao Paulo state’s coast.
“Drilling was completed May 18, at a depth of 6,773 metres and the discovery was proved via an oil sampling by means of a formation test in reservoirs situated at a depth of nearly 6,000 metres,” Petrobras said.
The Brazilian oil company, however, did not provide an estimate of the field’s potential reserves.
Tests showed that the field contains light crude oil, which trades at a higher price than the medium and heavy petroleum pumped from many of Brazil’s other fields.
The consortium is preparing an assessment of the new field that will be submitted to the ANP, Brazil’s energy industry regulatory agency, so that investment in the project can continue, Petrobras said.
In late 2007, Petrobras announced it had found what could be the world’s largest oil field, called Tupi, in the Santos basin.
Tupi could contain between five billion and eight billion barrels of crude oil, or enough to increase Brazil’s current total proven petroleum reserves by up to 50 percent.
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
- Brazilian oil giant announces contracts worth $4.5 bn - Jul 21, 2012
- Brazil's Petrobras announces deep-water oil find - Jan 27, 2011
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
- Brazilian firm announces new deepwater oil find - Apr 30, 2011
- Brazil oil giant's reserves' rise - Jan 13, 2012
- Brazilian oil giant makes new deep-water find - Jul 13, 2012
- Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater exploration - Oct 28, 2010
- Brazilian firm finds offshore oil, gas fields - Jul 06, 2011
- Brazil to auction new oil blocks in 2013 - Sep 20, 2012
- Brazil oil giant announces new find - Aug 04, 2012
- Brazil oil field's name changed to `Lula' - Dec 30, 2010
- Brazil announces offshore oil discovery - May 14, 2010
- Brazilian firm approves $225 bn investment plan through 2015 - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: anp, consortium, efe news agency, energy industry, five billion, galp energia, light crude oil, oil company, oil field, oil reserves, oil sampling, petrobras, petroleum reserves, regulatory agency, reservoirs, rio de janeiro, royal dutch shell, santos basin, sao paulo state, shore oil