Peruvian police rescue 10 kids from guerrillasJuly 7th, 2012 - 11:42 am ICT by IANS
Lima, July 7 (IANS/EFE) Police rescued 10 children who had been forcibly recruited by a guerrilla group in southern Peru, President Ollanta Humala said Friday.
“Ten children have been recovered. There are no casualties. The operation was carried out with great care to avoid the spilling of blood,” he told Canal N television.
The cops also captured 11 guerrillas, the president said.
A remnant of the Shining Path rebel group that operates in the Valley of the Apurimac and Ene rivers snatched kids and tried to mould them into “little pioneers” of the movement, according to media accounts.
“They have been abducting children of the rural population for training and to cover their backs through this extortion and to assure themselves of the forced collaboration (of the residents),” Humala said of the guerrillas.
The rescue mission was carried out Thursday in the Junin region and the freed youngsters were taken to the city of Mazamari, where the president said he planned to meet with them.
The region, which comprises a vast expanse of jungle across the regions of Junin, Ayacucho, Cuzco and Apurimac, is a major centre of coca growing and cocaine production.
- Peru's president relieves 22 generals - Jul 04, 2012
- Man trapped in Peru gold mine rescued - Apr 20, 2012
- Many hurt in Peru chopper crash - Oct 28, 2009
- Nine Peru miners rescued - Apr 12, 2012
- Peruvian president declares state of emergency - Dec 05, 2011
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- Machu Picchu, the city that was never lost - Jun 27, 2011
- 91 cops ill after having chicken soup in Peru - Apr 23, 2012
- 1,000 girls sexually exploited in Peru mining camps - Sep 20, 2011
- 17 killed in Peru bus accident - Nov 19, 2010
- Juanes to perform in Peru, visit Machu Picchu - Jun 29, 2012
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- Items from Machu Picchu return to Peru after nearly a century - Mar 31, 2011
- 19 dead in Peru bus accident - Feb 26, 2011
- Trapped Peruvian miners fine, awaiting rescue - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: apurimac, casualties, cocaine production, cuzco, extortion, guerrilla group, guerrillas, media accounts, ollanta humala, peru president, peruvian police, pioneers, police rescue, rebel group, remnant, rescue mission, shining path, southern peru, vast expanse, youngsters