People working for BBC Farsi service held in IranFebruary 7th, 2012 - 5:34 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 7 (IANS) A number of local people “secretly” working for the BBC Farsi-language service have been arrested in Iran, the Mehr news agency reported.
A source told Mehr that a number of “deceived” locals who were tasked with collecting news and information in Iran for the BBC have been arrested by security forces.
The people received “huge amount of money” from the BBC, the source said. The exact number of people arrested was, however, not mentioned.
According to Xinhua, in November 2011, Mehr said that Iranian intelligence forces arrested Hassan Fathi, a local who was working as a reporter with the BBC for a long time, on charges of spreading lies about the country and making attempts to manipulate the Iranian public opinion.
In September, Iran said six Iranian nationals, including a woman, were arrested for working for the BBC’s Farsi-language service and distributing photos, videos and information to reflect a negative image of Iran.
Xinhua said the BBC provides services from London in Farsi language eight hours a day for seven days a week, in peak viewing time of Iran and Afghanistan.
Iran’s intelligence ministry earlier warned Iranians not to work with the BBC, saying that those who were thinking of cooperation with the BBC should be careful not to fall into the trap of the “anti-Iranian institution”.
- BBC reporter arrested in Iran - Nov 14, 2011
- BBC employees held in Iran: Report - Sep 20, 2011
- Iran blogger Hossein Derakhshan released on temporarily bail - Dec 10, 2010
- Iran sentences 13 for spying for Israel: TV - May 14, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to unveil nuclear achievements Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran denies arrest of American woman - Jan 07, 2011
- Iran busts terror cell linked to Israel - Apr 10, 2012
- Iran claims busting US spy network with 30 arrests - May 21, 2011
- Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- U.S.-Iranian group slams Iran's 'Halal' Internet plan - Apr 27, 2011
- CIA spy arrested in Iran? - Dec 17, 2011
- Protests begin in Libya: Report - Feb 16, 2011
- Iran holds first trial of 'CIA agent' - Dec 29, 2011
- Iranian president's media adviser jailed - Nov 21, 2011
- Iranian leader says alleged assassination plot 'absurd' - Oct 16, 2011
Tags: amount of money, bbc, bbc farsi, collecting news, eight hours, exact number, hassan fathi, intelligence forces, intelligence ministry, iran tehran, iranian intelligence, iranian nationals, iranians, language service, mehr news agency, negative image, public opinion, security forces, viewing time, xinhua