People with new money lack dining etiquette, says restaurateurNovember 28th, 2010 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Nov 28 (ANI): A new breed of diners may have hefty pockets but they lack etiquette, says a restaurateur of almost 20 years.
La Pegna, born in Italy, owns Rialtos in Subiaco and Rudy’s in Claremont. He also created Bellissimo and Pronto in Claremont, Funtastico in Subiaco and Zafferano Restaurant at the Old Swan Brewery.
La Pegna said many diners with “new money” have no manners.
“The corporate market has been replaced by under-30s, since the global financial crisis. Some of them don’t know how to order, how to stay at the table or how to conduct themselves,” News.com.au quoted him as saying.
“They conduct themselves in a way that is clearly not elegant. I see people order an 800 dollars bottle of wine and then they don’t even know how to hold the glass properly.
“Some of the people with new money don’t even know which fork to use. It makes you wonder what level Perth is at on an international scale,” he said.
La Pegna said young people didn’t want to go to restaurants any more and opted for tapas bars.
“Young people go to tapas bars because they think they are getting a cheap night out, but they are picking on finger food and getting charged a lot,” he said.
La Pegna has also noticed the appearance of Perth diners has changed dramatically.
“When I arrived in Perth in 1981, I was amazed at how people didn’t have any fashion sense.
“Now every girl dresses like a model and men dress like gangsters with jeans, T-shirts and tattoos because that’s what attracts the girls,” he added. (ANI)
- Angelina doesn't pay attention to gossip - Mar 26, 2012
- 8 out of 10 US diners willing to pay more to eat at 'green' restaurants! - Dec 08, 2010
- Asian woman falls from London rooftop restaurant - Sep 06, 2012
- Wine and dine al fresco in capital weather - Jan 28, 2012
- Heidi Montag doesn't know her mum works as a maid - Oct 29, 2010
- Bon Jovi opens charity restaurant - Oct 20, 2011
- US restaurant says business is better than ever after screaming kids ban - Sep 10, 2010
- Indian platter goes casual; eateries reap bounty - Oct 23, 2011
- Wayne Rooney's fiery verbal spat with wife Coleen - Oct 26, 2010
- Gomez won't change for love again - Aug 17, 2011
- Ian McKellen buys historic pub - Oct 01, 2011
- Here are the rules of smart phone etiquette - Sep 22, 2010
- Brits lose fashion sense in summer: Kate Moss - Jun 13, 2012
- Centre should do something to control piracy: Yash Chopra - Dec 15, 2011
- Morrissey supports Gaga's meat dress - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: bottle of wine, claremont, diners, dining etiquette, fashion sense, finger food, gangsters, girl dresses, global financial crisis, manners, new breed, new money, news com au, old swan brewery, perth, pockets, restaurateur, rudy, subiaco, tapas bars