Penpals meet for the first time after 62 yearsMay 29th, 2009 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 29 (ANI): Two women who became penpals as teenagers finally got an opportunity to meet each other after 62 years.
Joyce Sims and Waverley Neutze continued to write about each other’s families through letters and never even spoke on telephone.
The pair finally met on May 27 after Neutze, 78, flew from her home in Christchurch, New Zealand, to visit the home in Weymouth, Dorset, of Sims, 80, and her husband John.
“I feel I know her so well, she’s part of the family. We’ve grown up together really. We met our husbands, got married and had families at nearly the same time, and always kept in touch,” the Times Online quoted Mrs Sims as saying.
Sims was 17 when she came to know about Neutze when she saw an advert for a penpal in the New Zealand Weekly News, while Neutze was just 16.
And until now, both the women have exchanged more than 400 letters.
They have shared the joys of marriage, children and grandchildren, but only after the demise of Neutze’s husband, Alan, did they decided to meet.
“When we started writing we didn’t think of travelling the way people do now, so we’ve never really thought it was possible to meet up before,” Sims said.
“It’s been lovely to finally put a face and voice to all those words,” she added.
“I was a young farmer’s daughter and I was looking for a penpal from somewhere exotic,” said Neutze.
“I couldn’t believe it when I got a reply from England, and I wrote back straight away. Back then we didn’t realise how long it would last,” she added. (ANI)
- Lib Dem campaigner for battered women 'assaults Tory husband' - Dec 01, 2010
- Kiwi woman "miraculously" rescued from Christchurch quake site - Feb 23, 2011
- Moss to enter movies? - Jun 11, 2012
- Mcgregor wants a break for family time - Jan 23, 2012
- Amy Winehouse's boyfriend says she is 'throwing herself into work' - Mar 29, 2011
- Son kills mother over night out - Jul 23, 2012
- Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries have a lovers tiff in Bora Bora - Aug 22, 2011
- Pankaj, Shabana team up again after 20 years - Feb 06, 2012
- Franklin likely starter in Wellington Test against Pakistan - Jan 14, 2011
- 65 killed as quake shakes up New Zealand city (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Brian McFadden engaged - Jan 16, 2012
- RTA insists NSW woman to change her 'offensive vagina number plate' - Apr 20, 2011
- Oz hero pilot dodges major disaster once again - Nov 07, 2010
- Sheen and I like siblings now: Denise Richards - Jan 19, 2012
- Indian man suffers racist attack in Britain - Oct 13, 2010