Pennetta stuns Jankovic again for Stuttgart semis berthMay 2nd, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Stuttgart, May 2 (DPA) Flavia Pennetta of Italy did it again to Jelena Jankovic with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 win as the Serbian title holder crashed out of the Porsche Grand Prix quarter-finals.
The 14th-ranked Pennetta clinched the comeback upset win in 1 hour 58 minutes against a tiring and erratic third seed Jankovic Friday.
Pennetta, 27, lost the first five matches against Jankovic but then beat her the last time they met, in Zurich last autumn, less than two weeks after Jankovic had claimed the world number one spot with the Stuttgart title in October 2008.
“I am very happy about the match. I was nervous before the start of the match. I was more aggressive from the second set onwards and moved her around more. She started to feel more pressure,” said Pennetta.
The Italian now meets current world number one Dinara Safina of Russia, who defeated Poland’s eight seed Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4, 6-2 in 73 minutes.
Olympic champion Elena Dementieva overcame stiff resistance from Marion Bartoli, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, for an all-Russian semi-final against fifth-seeded Svetlana Kuzentsova, a 6-3, 6-2 winner over unseeded Argentine Gisela Dulko.
Jankovic was hoping to regain her 2008 form at the Stuttgart tournament, which is now held in April on clay instead of October on hard court.
She was in full command against Pennetta in the first set, but the Italian, who had ousted six seed Nadia Petrova Thursday, roared back.
The Italian squared the sets with a ninth-game break and then got the vital advantage for 4-3 in the final set. She served out the match in the 10th game when Jankovic hit a groundstroke wide.
“The difference came somewhere in the beginning of the second set. My level went down and I let her dominate,” said Jankovic, adding that she had suffered from a cold recently and tired in the end.
But she vowed ahead of the upcoming events highlighted by the French Open Grand Slam: “This defeat means nothing to me. I am not losing my confidence.”
Safina, who is playing her first tournament since earning the top ranking last week, failed to serve out the first set against Radwanska at 5-3, but then broke to take the set. She then won five straight games from 2-1 down in the second to clinch victory.
“It feels great. I am very happy to be in the semi-finals and really enjoy playing here,” said Safina.
The second-seeded Olympic champion Dementieva squandered a one-break lead twice in the second set and almost threw away a 4-0 advantage in the third before beating Bartoli in 2:17 hours after the French had fought back to 4-3.
“This was my best match so far, it was a good fight from the first ball to the end,” said Dementieva, whose was also in the Stuttgart semis in 2002 and 2005.
Kuznetsova is in the Stuttgart semis for the fourth time (2004, 2006, 2007, 2009) and holds a slim 5-4 lead in the series with Dementieva.
After being stretched to long three-setters in the opening rounds Kuznetsova made short work of Dulko to take a 3-2 lead in their series. A break in the second game was enough to take the first set and Kuznetsova never looked back after a break for 2-1 in the second.
- Jankovic outlasts Lisicki, Safina cruises past Hantuchova - May 01, 2009
- Safina outlasts Pennetta, meets Kuznetsova in final - May 03, 2009
- Serbia-Czech Republic in Fed Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- China's Zheng Jie wins Auckland WTA title - Jan 08, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Nadal does it easy while Del Potro struggles through (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Radwanska advances at Wimbledon, Penetta knocked out (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Dulko stuns Azarenka, Jankovic cruises ahead - Apr 30, 2009
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Henin outlasts Jankovic, Safina crashes out at Stuttgart - May 01, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Wozniacki, Arzarenko advance into US Open second round - Aug 31, 2011
- Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: berth, dinara safina, elena dementieva, flavia pennetta, french open, game break, gisela dulko, grand prix, grand slam, jelena jankovic, last autumn, last time, marion bartoli, olympic champion, petrova, quarter finals, semis, stiff resistance, svetlana, zurich