Penn hopes ‘Milk’ will change US law against homosexualsMarch 1st, 2009 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
New York, March 1 (IANS) Hollywood star Sean Penn hopes his Oscar-winning performance in “Milk” will help change laws banning same-sex marriages in America.
The star won an Academy Award for his portrayal of gay politician Harvey Milk in the critically acclaimed movie and now he is urging US President Barack Obama to view the film in a bid to reverse the law and make same-sex unions legally recognized across the country, reports hollywood.com.
“Eventually we are hoping for a White House screening. I think this film will be one of the steps forward (in the fight for gay marriage). It will be part of the dialogue,” said the actor.
“I was once asked to tell the difference between luxury and necessity for a human being. The right to equality for all, including homosexuals, is of course a necessity. That’s why this right will become a reality and I think in its own way this film will be part of that,” he added.
Homosexual couples in California were granted the right to wed last year but it was revoked just months later after the passing of the Proposition 8 bill, which reversed the previous ruling permitting the unions.
On March 5, a Californian court will hear arguments in lawsuits seeking to annul the referendum, with lawmakers due to hand down a ruling within 90 days.
- US military chaplains free to perform same-sex marriages - Oct 01, 2011
- Vietnam hosts first gay parade - Aug 05, 2012
- 'Milk' voted best gay movie of the decade - May 17, 2011
- California Federal Judge Vaughn Walker Overturns Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- The Pronouncement Of The Judge In California On The Legalization Of Sex-Same Unions Is Ready For Release - Aug 04, 2010
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- US court puts debate on same-sex marriage on hold again - Aug 17, 2010
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Supreme Court Of New Jersey Repudiates A Request From 6 Homosexual Twosomes - Jul 27, 2010
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Animator Seth MacFarlane Voices His Thoughts On Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- Marriage is only for a man and a woman: Julia Gillard - Mar 04, 2011
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- Colin Powell endorses same-sex marriage - May 24, 2012
Tags: academy award, barack obama, californian, dialogue, equality, gay marriage, gay politician, harvey milk, hollywood star, homosexual couples, homosexuals, lawmakers, lawsuits, march 1, portrayal, referendum, same sex marriages, same sex unions, sean penn, white house