PCB unlikely to allow Asif to play in IPLMarch 27th, 2008 - 3:30 pm ICT by admin
Karachi, Mar 27 (ANI): Pakistan cricket authorities are unlikely to allow medium pacer Mohammad Asif to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL) starting next month, as they fear that the bowler may suffer from a recurrence of a chronic elbow problem that has kept him out of competitive cricket for since last October
Well-placed sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) told ‘The News’ on Wednesday that senior Board officials are unwilling to issue an NOC to Asif to play in the IPL, and keep him injury-free for the forthcoming international series involving Pakistan.
Asif is eager to return to the cricketing stage by appearing in the IPL in which he is scheduled to play for Delhi at a handsome salary of 650,000 dollars.
It is the lucrative package and an opportunity to be a part of what is seen as a revolutionary Twenty20 contest that has forced Asif to return to training recently.
The lanky pacer himself seems quite confident that he is fit enough to play in the IPL but PCB officials do not want to take any chances, reported The News.
Asif is a key member of the Pakistan squad and his absence due to injury is seen as one of the reasons behind their unimpressive showing against South Africa at home and on the tour of India last year. (ANI)
- PCB may stop Afridi from playing in SLPL - Jun 23, 2011
- PCB awaits IPL response on players' participation - Dec 25, 2010
- PCB unsure of Asif in series against Kiwis - Oct 17, 2009
- Pak favourites to win T20 World Cup : Asif - Apr 17, 2010
- Pak fast bowler Irfan still awaiting NOC from PCB to play for Kolkata in IPL - Sep 11, 2010
- PCB to probe whether suspended Pak pacer Aamir played practice game - Jan 26, 2011
- PCB slaps Afridi with hefty fine but grants NOC - Jun 16, 2011
- PCB seeks government clearance for players' participation in IPL - Nov 24, 2009
- Praveen Kumar doubtful for World Cup - Feb 07, 2011
- Asif's Nottinghamshire dream falls apart as PCB denies permission - Apr 21, 2010
- Pakistani cricketers will again be kept out of IPL - Dec 07, 2010
- PCB chairman's visit revives Pakistan's IPL hopes - May 28, 2012
- ICC rejects PCB's appeal against IPL's snubbing of Pak cricketers - Mar 12, 2010
- Asif eyeing a successful comeback - Jul 10, 2009
- PCB blames India for Pak players' omission from IPL 4 - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: absence, authorities, board officials, elbow, handsome salary, India, ipl, karachi, medium pacer, mohammad, noc, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, premier league, recurrence, south africa, twenty20