PCB drops ICL rebels but keeps them on standby for World T20April 8th, 2009 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, April 8 (IANS) Pakistan has dropped three Indian Cricket League (ICL) players from its 30-man provisional squad for the World Twenty20 Championship but has retained them ‘on a reserve list’ with the hope that the International Cricket Council (ICC) will clear them later this month.
A Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official told IANS Wednesday that the Board will take a final decision after receiving a verdict from the ICC.
Pakistani selectors had included ICL-contracted Abdul Razzaq, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Imran Nazir in a 30-man preliminary squad for the June 5-21 spectacle to be played in England.
But just a day later, the PCB decided to drop the three players and instead included discarded Test opener Mohammad Hafeez, wicket-keeper Zulfiqar Jan and spinner Saeed Ajmal in the squad.
A PCB media release which was issued Tuesday evening had stated that the three ICL players have been kept on standby and will be included in the list if cleared by the ICC. The PCB is planning to discuss the matter at the ICC Executive Board Meeting to be held April 17-18.
Sources said that the PCB was forced to backtrack on the inclusion of the ICL players in a bid to avoid a faceoff with the Indian cricket board and ICC.
The ICC considers ICL as a unauthorized league and is expected to adopt a tough policy against such unofficial events by laying out new rules against them from June 1 this year.
- Akmal rejoicing return to Pakistan team - Jan 05, 2011
- PCB allows Rana Naved to play in Bangladesh T20 - Mar 20, 2010
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Faisal Iqbal signs contract with Bangladesh cricket for T20 league - Apr 09, 2010
- PCB awaits ICL's reply on its cricketers - Apr 07, 2009
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Pakistan cricket board may waive 'cooling period' for ICL rebels - May 02, 2009
- Return of ICL players in Pak national team unlikely - Apr 14, 2009
- PCB awards 'C' category central contract to Naved-ul-Hasan - Jul 24, 2009
- PCB requests ICC to replace Razzaq for injured Arafat - Jun 10, 2009
- PCB sees 50-50 chance of ICC allowing rebel ICL players for T20 World Championship - Apr 07, 2009
- PCB, ICL players in deadlock over central contract - Apr 09, 2009
- Pakistan skipper Younis backs off-form Yousuf - Aug 12, 2009
- Pakistan recalls Nazir, Naved for Sri Lanka ODI series - Jul 22, 2009
- PCB asks Rana Naved to submit fresh copy of ICL's NOC - Jun 04, 2009
Tags: ajmal, backtrack, cricket league, faceoff, final decision, hasan, indian cricket board, international cricket council, karachi, mohammad hafeez, nazir, omar khalid, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, rana naved, saeed, selectors, t20, unofficial events, wicket keeper