PayPal set to become global payment platformJuly 25th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 25 (IANS) PayPal is set to become the first truly global platform for payment.
San Jose-based PayPal, which is a company of eBay, announced Friday that it plans to open its online payment platform to third-party developers. Till now, PayPal could be used to pay for deals made by its members on eBay.
In a statement, PayPal said its newly launched application programming interfaces (APIs) will allow developers to embed its secure global payment system into their applications and platforms.
In opening up the PayPal platform, developers can now create new ways to send and receive payments for services beyond traditional e-commerce, the statement said.
The global leader in e-commerce, PayPal has more than 75 million active accounts in 19 currencies around the world. It enables its members to send money without sharing financial information.
PayPal also offers them the flexibility of paying from their account balances, bank accounts, credit cards or personal financing.
It has three online payment services: the PayPal global payments platform, the Payflow Gateway company, and Bill Me Later.
According to a recent McKinsey report, the global payments market has the potential to reach $30 trillion.
For over a decade, PayPal has been a secure, global payments network for e-commerce and person-to-person transactions. Globally, it integrates 27 financial networks, 15,000 local banks, 190 markets and 19 currencies.
The company said several developers have already integrated its new APIs as part of a beta programme.
“Until now, developer innovation has been stifled by the barriers payment systems impose,” PayPal president Scott Thompson was quoted as saying in the statement.
- RBI permits PayPal exporters $3,000 per transaction - Oct 15, 2011
- PayPal launches partial services in Russia - Oct 14, 2011
- FIEO ties up with eBay, PayPal to boost exports - Apr 12, 2012
- Facebook ties up with PayPal to collect ad revenue - Feb 19, 2010
- PayPal to launch business in Russia - Aug 03, 2011
- Yahoo names new CEO (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- PayPal says it blocked WikiLeaks after U.S. government request - Dec 08, 2010
- Yahoo CEO steps down - May 14, 2012
- China's e-commerce giant hives off reward points service - Dec 20, 2011
- eBay slammed with $3.8-billion lawsuit - Jul 15, 2010
- Banks join race for online payments - May 25, 2011
- eBay fourth-quarter profit jumps 16 percent as Paypal and StubHub grow - Jan 21, 2010
- US charges hackers in high-profile cyber attack - Mar 07, 2012
- PayPal founder buys into New Zealand technology fund - Mar 22, 2012
- PayPal suspends donations to WikiLeaks - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: account balances, active accounts, application programming interfaces, currencies around the world, ebay, financial networks, gateway company, global leader, global payment, global payments, global platform, mckinsey report, online payment services, party developers, payment platform, paypal, person to person, platform developers, president scott, scott thompson