Pawlenty becomes first GOP 2012 Presidential contender to announce intention to runMarch 22nd, 2011 - 4:16 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 22 (ANI): Former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty has become the first Republican to openly declare his intentions of running for the 2012 presidential elections, in a video posted to his Facebook page.
Pawlenty, who is little known in the country compared to his possible contenders, might have taken the step of declaring his intentions earlier than others to generate media attention to uplift his recognition nationally, the BBC reports.
In his video promotion, Pawlenty has claimed that he would form an “exploratory committee” to assess the feasibility of a presidential run. Exploratory committees allow candidates to more easily raise money and hire staff for their campaigns.
“We, the people of the United States, will take back our government,” Pawlenty claimed in the video.
His possible contenders like Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Haley Barbour are expected to announce their candidature in the coming months.
The former Governor was a staunch critic of President Barack Obama’s healthcare reform bill, and is seen as socially conservative, including opposing abortion and stem cell research. (ANI)
- Republican lawmaker Pawlenty apologizes for cap-and-trade support - May 01, 2011
- Romney, Palin clear leaders for 2012 GOP presidential primary - Oct 01, 2010
- Mitt Romney slightly ahead of potential 2012 GOP presidential candidates: Poll - Jan 25, 2011
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Mitt Romney to announce his 2012 Presidential bid next week - May 27, 2011
- Lowans still looking for outstanding GOP contender ahead of Caucuses: Poll - Apr 30, 2011
- Tea Party supporters name Mitt Romney top choice for 2012 Presidential polls - Mar 27, 2011
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South - Mar 13, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Trump in second place as GOP candidate: NBC Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Trump takes lead in GOP primary race, beats other Republicans: Poll - Apr 17, 2011
- Most Americans can't name single GOP candidate: Poll - Apr 21, 2011
- Mitt Romney visits South Carolina - May 23, 2011
- Palin gets no vote in recent GOP straw poll - Feb 23, 2011
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: barack obama, bbc reports, candidature, contenders, exploratory committee, exploratory committees, former minnesota governor, governor tim pawlenty, haley barbour, healthcare reform, media attention, minnesota governor tim pawlenty, mitt romney, newt gingrich, opposing abortion, presidential contender, presidential elections, stem cell research, tim pawlenty, video promotion