Patil meets UAE presidentNovember 22nd, 2010 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Nov 22 (IANS/WAM) Indian President Pratibha Patil, on a visit to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to enhance economic and energy ties with the Gulf region, was Monday welcomed to the country by her counterpart, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Patil is on a nine-day two-nation tour to the UAE and Syria. She will inaugurate in Abu Dhabi an Indian Workers Resource Centre, designed to provide a 24-hour helpline and counselling service to workers from the country who are in distress.
Apart from Abu Dhabi, she would travel to Dubai and Sharjah.
The UAE president Monday received Patil at the Mushrif Palace, where she inspected a guard of honour. Patil was given a 21-gun salute and India’s national anthem was also played.
Patil arrived Sunday evening in Abu Dhabi, where she was received by UAE Minister for Foreign Trade Sheikha Lubna Bint Khalid Al Qasimi, UAE’s ambassador to India Mohammed Sultan Abdullah Al-Owais and Indian ambassador to the UAE M.K. Lokesh.
The Indian president Sunday told WAM that India and the UAE have witnessed rapid modernisation of their societies and economies.
“We share common destiny in the contemporary world and we have much to gain by intensifying our cooperation with each other. We have a huge stake in each other’s success, and to that extent ours is a relationship that is of strategic importance,” she said.
“We have achieved the status of being each other’s largest trading partner. There is need for greater integration of our economies, higher flow of trade and investment. Cooperation in energy and environment are assuming importance in our relations as also cooperation in counter-terrorism, tackling the global economic crisis, education. UAE is important for our energy security,” she said.
Patil heads to Syria Nov 26. This will be the first presidential visit to that country from India. She will hold delegation-level talks with President Bashar Al Assad in Damscus.
- UAE president hails Indian community's contribution (Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- UAE, China seek to boost trade ties - May 25, 2012
- UAE, Lithuania to tighten economic ties - May 08, 2012
- UAE, Western Australia keen to boost commercial cooperation - Jun 04, 2011
- UAE, US hold talks - Jan 17, 2012
- President has a busy day in UAE - Nov 23, 2010
- UAE trade minister meets Arab business delegation - Jan 21, 2012
- UAE, Sweden eyes close energy ties - Oct 24, 2011
- UAE discusses trade cooperation with Syria - Dec 29, 2010
- UAE minister meets foreign trade officials - May 04, 2012
- UAE, Portugal discuss trade - Jun 12, 2012
- UAE minister gets lifetime achievement award in US - Jan 27, 2012
- Swedish industrialist discusses trade ties with UAE minister - Apr 12, 2011
- China-Arab trade to reach $300 bn by 2014: UAE minister - Sep 12, 2012
- UAE, South Korea seek close trade ties - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: bashar al assad, damscus, global economic crisis, guard of honour, gun salute, indian ambassador, indian president, investment cooperation, khalifa bin zayed, lokesh, mohammed sultan, nation tour, national anthem, owais, president bashar, president pratibha patil, qasimi, uae president, united arab emirates, zayed al nahyan