Patil interacts with Syrian parliamentariansNovember 29th, 2010 - 12:54 pm ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
Damascus, Nov.29 (ANI): Visiting Indian President Pratibha Devisingh Patil visited the Syrian Parliament on Sunday and met the Speaker, Mahmoud Al Abrash.
Five members of the People’s Assembly, Minister for Presidential Affairs Mansour Azzam and other senior officials represented the Syrian side at the talks.
They discussed cooperation between the parliamentary institutions of both countries, particularly in the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU).
The Speaker informed Patil that a Syria-India friendship group has been set up in the Syrian Parliament.
Patil also visited the NGO “AAMAL” which provides excellent facilities for disabled children and helps them in rehabilitation.
The institution also trains the trainers and families in these specialized fields.
The First Madam Asma Al Assad who is also the chairperson of the institute received her. President donated two million Syrian pounds (Indian Rs.20 lakhs) for the activities of AAMAL.
In the afternoon, President attended the Syria-India ‘Business Summit’ and launched the India Syria Business Council.
Syrian Minister for Trade and Economy Lamia Aasi was present and delivered an address at the event.
The launching of the Council would provide the forum and the platform to give a fillip to our economic and commercial relations, Reddy said.
On Sunday evening, Patil interacted and addressed the Indian community at a reception hosted by our Ambassador at Hotel Four Seasons in Damascus.
There are approximately 1000 Indian nationals in Syria working in Indian companies, students pursuing religious studies, and officials of the Indian Army who are part of the UNDOF.
Before the reception, Patil met the Sisters from Missionaries of Charity who have a number of old age homes in Syria. The president donated approximately Rs. 10 lakhs to meet the cost of equipment for their old age home in Aleppo. (ANI)
- Patil arrives in Syria after ending visit to UAE - Nov 26, 2010
- Patil says India supports Syria in seeking lasting solution to Middle East problem - Nov 27, 2010
- Syria important for India's energy security needs: President Patil - Nov 21, 2010
- President Patil to visit UAE, Syria to boost trade ties - Nov 19, 2010
- Patil to end visit to Syria, to return to New Delhi - Nov 29, 2010
- Patil asks Indian businessmen to invest in Syria, contribute in developmental plans - Nov 28, 2010
- President Patil to visit UAE, Syria - Nov 21, 2010
- Clashes between Syrian army, opposition continue in Aleppo - Aug 01, 2012
- President to travel to UAE, Syria later this month (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Meira Kumar highlights women's role in Indian polity - Oct 18, 2011
- Parliamentarians meet in Bern, focus on global crises - Oct 17, 2011
- President to travel to UAE, Syria - Nov 02, 2010
- Syria vows to 'overcome protests' within two months - Jun 27, 2011
- Syrian state TV station bombed in Damascus, PM fired - Aug 06, 2012
- 25 killed in fresh Syria massacre - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: al assad, business summit, fillip, friendship group, hotel four seasons, india business, indian army, indian nationals, indian president, inter parliamentary union, missionaries of charity, parliamentary institutions, pratibha devisingh patil, presidential affairs, syrian minister, syrian parliament, syrian pounds, syrian side, trade and economy, undof