Patil donates Rs.1.1 crore to India-Cambodia Friendship SchoolSeptember 15th, 2010 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
Phnom Penh (Cambodia), Sept.15 (ANI): Visiting Indian President Pratibha Devisingh Patil on Wednesday donated a sum of Rs.1.1 crore to the India-Cambodia Friendship School in Phnom Penh.
The money will be used to build a school building, library, boundary walls and gates.
This primary school is located in Village Khum Khnasor, District Srok Srey Santho in Kampong Cham province.
It was established in 1981 and has 239 students (110 girls and 129 boys from KG to class VI).
The Embassy of India in association with the Indian Association Cambodia (IAC) is assisting the school, as it is resource deficient and a majority of its students come from poor families.
India’s Ambassador to Cambodia, Rajesh Kumar Sachdeva had visited the school on March 20. On Tuesday, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen called on President Patil at the Hotel Intercontinental here. The two leaders reportedly discussed issues of bilateral, regional and international importance to both countries.
Delegation-level talks and a signing of bilateral agreements between the two countries followed the meeting.
After the meeting, EXIM bank director P. Dalal and Cambodia’s Secretary of State in Ministry of Economy and Finance, Aun Porn Monirothe, signed an agreement to extend a credit of 15 million dollars for the Stung Tassal Water Development project.
The second agreement was signed by Ambassador Rajesh Kumar Sachdeva and the Cambodian National Audit Authority to help the latter in capacity building.
Both agreements were signed to enhance economic engagements between the two countries. An Indian business delegation is also in Cambodia to achieve this objective.
The total trade between India and Cambodia in 2008-09 was worth 49.61 dollars. Major exports to Cambodia are drugs, pharmaceuticals, fine chemicals, cotton, staple fibres, rubber articles, precious metals, etc. (ANI)
- India to help Cambodia to build human resources - Sep 14, 2010
- Prez Patil meets Cambodian PM, India extends 15 million dollar credit - Sep 14, 2010
- Oil, gas, mineral, exploration potential with Cambodia huge: Patil - Sep 18, 2010
- Indian trade promotion office opens in Cambodia - Sep 02, 2012
- India to set up chair for Buddhist studies in Cambodia - Jul 04, 2011
- President Patil receives traditional welcome in Cambodia - Sep 14, 2010
- US to give $35 mn to Cambodia - Oct 25, 2011
- President arrives in Cambodia - Sep 13, 2010
- Patil arrives in Cambodia to boost ties (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Scope exists for expanding modest Indo-Cambodian economic ties: Patil - Sep 15, 2010
- 130 workers faint in Cambodia - Oct 25, 2011
- Man kills five relatives in Cambodia - Aug 20, 2010
- Gold thieves explode grenades in heist, injure six - Sep 21, 2009
- Cambodia seeks to resume talks with Thailand about disputed oil and gas zone - Aug 31, 2011
- President Patil arrives in Cambodia after ending successful visit to Lao - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: bank director, bilateral agreements, boundary walls, building library, business delegation, dalal, embassy of india, fine chemicals, friendship school, indian business, indian president, major exports, phnom penh cambodia, pratibha devisingh patil, precious metals, rajesh kumar, rubber articles, sachdeva, tassal, water development project