Patil arrives in Cambodia to boost ties (Lead)September 13th, 2010 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Phnom Penh, Sep 13 (IANS) Indian President Pratibha Patil arrived in Cambodia Monday as part of her two-nation visit to Laos and Cambodia, seeking to enhance ties with ASEAN countries and reaffirming India’s ‘Look East’ policy.
Concluding her tour to Laos Monday, Patil reached the Phnom Penh International Airport where she was welcomed by Kong Sam Ol, deputy prime minister and minister of the Royal Palace of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Patil said at the start of her trip to both nations that the visit will enhance India’s partnership with the members of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
“I will assure (Cambodia and Laos) that they can count on India as a willing development partner,” she was quoted as saying by DPA.
Patil said India wanted to boost trade and investment, which she described as growing but “much below potential”.
During her Cambodia visit, Patil will meet Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and preside over the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding for Cooperation between the National Auditing Authority of Cambodia and the Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Xinhua reported citing official statement.
The two leaders will also sign an agreement for Stung Tasal Water Resource Development Project (Phase 2) between Cambodian government and the Export-Import Bank of India.
Besides attending a ceremony for Mekong-Ganga Cooperation (MGC) Asian Traditional Textiles Museum, Patil is expected to discuss with officials here topics including anti-terrorism cooperation, foreign investment and infrastructure development projects.
She will encourage the delegation of 40 businessmen accompanying her to take advantage of “mutually advantageous opportunities”.
Patil is also slated to visit the popular Angkor Wat temples.
- President arrives in Cambodia - Sep 13, 2010
- Oil, gas, mineral, exploration potential with Cambodia huge: Patil - Sep 18, 2010
- Patil heads to Laos, Cambodia - Sep 07, 2010
- President Patil to visit Laos and Cambodia - Sep 07, 2010
- President Patil receives traditional welcome in Cambodia - Sep 14, 2010
- President Patil arrives in Cambodia after ending successful visit to Lao - Sep 13, 2010
- President leaves for Laos, Cambodia on Thursday to advance India's Look East policy - Sep 08, 2010
- Traditional welcome given to President Patil in Siem Reap - Sep 16, 2010
- Ahead of ASEAN summit, India to host Mekong-Ganga meeting - Aug 13, 2012
- President Patil leaves for Laos, Cambodia to further advance India's Look East policy - Sep 09, 2010
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- Enough space for India, China to develop simultaneously: President Patil - Sep 09, 2010
- India for cooperation and competition with China - Sep 08, 2010
- India to host ministers of Mekong-Ganga countries - Dec 05, 2011
- President Patil arrives in Laos on five-day visit - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: angkor wat, angkor wat temples, asean countries, association of south east asian nations, bank of india, comptroller and auditor general, comptroller and auditor general of india, deputy prime minister, east asian nations, export import bank, export import bank of india, infrastructure development projects, kingdom of cambodia, memorandum of understanding, phnom penh, president pratibha patil, resource development project, south east asian, traditional textiles, water resource development