Parrot that rode high-wire bicycle to amuse Churchill in 1946 still drawing crowdsMarch 14th, 2009 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 14 (ANI): Sixty-three years have passed since a Moluccan Cockatoo amused Britains wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill by riding a high-wire bicycle, but the parrots old age has not stopped her from drawing crowds as yet.
Named Pinky, the parrot performed for Churchill in 1946 Miamis Jungle Island.
She is currently 67 years old, and remains a favourite at the island.
Churchill went to America following a doctors advice to escape the harsh British winter, after he had led Britain to victory in World War II and later lost the 1945 General Election.
He spent eight months recuperating in sunny Florida, during which he visited the then Parrot Jungle.
Pinky was the number one star when Churchill came, the Sun quoted bird show manager Ryan Prentice as saying.
Although the shows changed over the years, one thing thats never changed is Pinkys bicycle ride along the high wire.
She sings and says some words. Imagine what she might say if she could talk properly!
Parrots can live to over 100. Maybe shell learn a few more words in her later years and tell us all about the meeting, Prentice added. (ANI)
- Brand willing to shave his head to play Churchill - Apr 22, 2011
- Churchill's last cigar to be auctioned - Nov 18, 2010
- Winston Churchill's first painting after WW2 up for grabs - Apr 18, 2011
- Boer War description of ex-POW Churchill part of Christie's sale - Jun 02, 2010
- Winston Churchill's cigar airbrushed from picture - Jun 16, 2010
- Churchill named Britain's greatest gentleman of last century - Dec 10, 2011
- UK radio series to highlight Churchill's unknown skills - Mar 14, 2011
- Churchill 'ordered assassination of Mussolini to protect secret letters' - Sep 03, 2010
- Churchill's false teeth fetch 15,200 pounds - Jul 30, 2010
- Jewish extremist hatched plan to assassinate Winston Churchill in 1944: MI5 - Apr 04, 2011
- Churchill's secret war diaries and cigars to be auctioned - May 07, 2010
- Poll reveals that Princess Diana is the favorite royal in UK - Aug 31, 2011
- Churchill was an abusive, ill-humoured patient, reveals nurse's diary - Aug 27, 2010
- Painting by Churchill up for sale - Apr 18, 2011
- Churchill's dentures fetch 15,200 pounds - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: bicycle ride, bird show, british winter, crowds, doctors, eight months, general election, jungle island, london march, miamis, moluccan cockatoo, parrot jungle, parrots, pinky, prime minister, shell, sunny florida, victory, winston churchill, world war ii