Parreira says Santana will coach South AfricaApril 23rd, 2008 - 8:34 pm ICT by admin
Rio de Janeiro, April 23 (DPA) Brazilian coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has said that his compatriot Joel Santana will replace him at the helm of the South African national team. Football authorities have not confirmed the signing. In a telephone interview with the Brazilian sports website GloboEsporte.com, Parreira - who is to remain an advisor to South African officials despite his resignation for personal reasons Monday - said he is convinced that Santana is to replace him on the job.
“I think it will be Joel. He was called, he already talked to the (South African) federation and he showed an interest in reaching an agreement,” said Parreira.
- * -
Striker Schlaudraff leaves Bayern for Hanover
Hanover: Bayern Munich striker Jan Schlaudraff has completed a move to fellow Bundesliga club Hanover for around $4 million. He has signed a four-year contract with Hanover and rejoins coach Dieter Hecking with whom he worked at Aachen, the club has confirmed.
Schlaudraff had moved to Bayern from Alemannia Aachen last summer but was never able to force his way into the side, where Luca Toni, Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski were preferred. “I am convinced Hanover have good prospects for the next few years and I hope I can develop further under Hecking,” said Schlaudraff, 24, who has won three caps for Germany.
- * -
Schalke set to unveil new coach
Gelsenkirchen (Germany): German club Schalke 04 are to unveil their new coach. Dutchman Fred Rutten has been tipped to succeed Mirko Slomka who was sacked 10 days ago.
The club has declined to confirm the appointment of Rutten, saying a press conference Wednesday morning would be attended by club chairman Josef Schnusenberg and general manager Andreas Mueller. According to German media report, Schalke have lined up Rutten, 45, presently with Dutch side Twente Enschede, for next season.
- * -
Arsenal’s Hleb charged over Murty ’slap’
London: Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association over a clash with Reading’s Graeme Murty. The incident happened off the ball during Arsenal’s 2-0 Premier League victory.
Hleb appeared to thrust an open hand into Murty’s face, but referee Peter Walton missed the incident. Having reviewed the incident on television, Walton and the FA have decided to charge Hleb. He could be facing a three-game ban.
“Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb has been charged with violent conduct. Hleb was involved in an incident with Reading defender Graeme Murty during the second half of the match at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday April 19,” an FA statement said.
- * -
Everton tie up Pienaar signing
London: Everton agreed a deal to sign midfielder Steven Pienaar, and will make permanent his loan signing at the end of the season. Everton had an option to sign the South African for $4.1 million provided they paid before the end of the season.
Pienaar had expressed concerns about how long it was taking for them agree to do that, but manager David Moyes insisted the club was not to blame.
“The deal, as far as I am concerned, has been agreed. It seems the problem lies with the agent’s fee,” he said. Pienaar has agreed a three-year deal, leaving Moyes to decide whether to take up an option on another on-loan midfielder, Manuel Fernandes.
- Can Bafana Bafana keep host streak alive? (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
- PSV fire coach Rutten - Mar 13, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Riquelme does not deserve to play at Flamengo: Coach - Jul 21, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Schalke, Hannover grab victories in German Bundesliga - Mar 19, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Flamengo to re-sign Adriano, says coach - May 02, 2012
- Coach Rutten to leave PSV at end of season - Dec 31, 2011
- Parreira returns to coach South Africa for World Cup - Oct 24, 2009
- Ireland midfielder Gibson completes Everton move - Jan 14, 2012
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Bafana eager to show numbers mean nothing - Jun 10, 2010
- Hosts hoping to celebrate with the nation - Jun 15, 2010
- Monchengladbach's Neustadter signs with Schalke 04 - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: africa football, andreas mueller, bayern munich, carlos alberto parreira, club chairman, compatriot, dieter hecking, dutch side, german club, german media, jan schlaudraff, luca toni, lukas podolski, miroslav klose, rio de janeiro, rutten, schalke 04, south african federation, south african officials, team football