Paris haute couture season opens with optimismJanuary 27th, 2009 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 27 (IANS) Paris haute couture for spring-summer 2009 kicked off with major designer houses participating in it and experts are predicting good turnover despite the financial meltdown.”The growth will be lower in 2009, but we are expecting growth. I believe that in this world you still have people looking for the exceptional custom-made dresses,” Vogue.co.uk quoted Bruno Pavolovsky, president of Chanel, US-based fashion house, as saying.
The spring summer do started Jan 26 and 21 luxury brands including Giorgio Armani, Christian Dior, Valentino and Jean Paul Gaultier are participating in the three-day event.
Nicolas Topiol, CEO Christian Lacroix, also conceded that couture was doing better than ready-to-wear and retail, both of which suffered at the end of 2008.
“A new, younger customer from the Middle East, Japan and China is entering the exclusive world of couture, making up a customer base which globally numbers no more that a few hundred, but which the industry believes will ensure its survival,” said Topiol.
- Valentino denies involvement in his couture line - Jan 29, 2009
- Armani to design outfits for Ricky Martin - Mar 19, 2011
- After Becks and Ronaldo, Nadal to strip off for Armani underwear - Dec 11, 2010
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
- Style quotient at Oscars - hits and misses - Feb 28, 2011
- Elton John turns interviewer to Gaga - May 14, 2011
- Givenchi’s Extreme Art And Chanel’s Casual Collection At Spring Summer 2011 Haute Couture - Jan 26, 2011
- Megan Fox is new face of Armani's mascara - Dec 23, 2010
- Rafael Nadal is new Armani underwear model - Jan 22, 2011
- Jacobs happy at Vuitton - Oct 08, 2011
- After Megan Fox’s Body, Rafael Nadal’s Underwear! - Jan 22, 2011
- Now get Stella McCartney's collection in Paris, Tokyo - Dec 20, 2008
- Indian women should try messy, classic look: French hairstylist (With Images) - Apr 28, 2012
- Ronaldo replaces Beckham as Armani's underwear model - Oct 10, 2009
- Dita Von Teese's striptease at Paris Fashion Week - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: bruno, ceo, chanel, christian dior, christian lacroix, customer base, east japan, fashion house, financial meltdown, giorgio armani, haute couture, jean paul gaultier, london jan, luxury brands, nicolas topiol, optimism, spring summer, turnover, valentino, vogue