Parents beware of kids’ Wikiporn riskMay 24th, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, May 24 (ANI): Parents are being urged not to allow their kids to use website Wikipedia without supervision after an entry on a famous children’s book was edited to contain pornographic material.
Last week, sexual and violent acts between characters were added to the online plot summary for Mrs Frisby And The Rats Of NIMH, which is recommended for students in years 5 to 9.
The edited page for the book, on the list for the Premier’s Reading Challenge, was visible for about an hour before it was changed to the original text.
A mother from Sydney said that she was shocked to find the article, after researching the book for her son.
Michelle FitzGerald, NSW Parents Council executive officer of communications, said it’s a matter of concern for all parents.
“It is a concern to the council that the Internet, if used inappropriately or not supervised, can lead children into areas where they really should not be. It really comes back to parental supervision on the internet,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted her as saying.
Brianna Laugher, Australian representative for Wikipedia, said vandalism was a continuing problem for the site.
“Wikipedia, in general, is not designed for a primary school audience. I don’t advise any children to use it before they have had the pitfalls explained to them,” she said. (ANI)
- Tony Blair tried to get Saif Gaddafi place at Oxford - Dec 01, 2011
- Pallikal moves up to 14th place in world rankings - Feb 02, 2012
- Wikipedia entries full of factual errors, says researcher - Apr 18, 2012
- Dipika Pallikal enters top-15 of World Squash rankings - Jan 03, 2012
- Using internet most risky for middle-class kids - Mar 24, 2012
- Lindsay Lohan Dead Rumors Hit Web - Jul 15, 2010
- Wikipedia becomes home base for paedophiles - Jun 27, 2010
- Modern schoolbags worth $2k are not without laptop, iPod and phone - Jan 23, 2011
- Angry Bieber fans attack Spalding's online profile after Grammy upset - Feb 14, 2011
- Children's lives online giving parents nightmares - Nov 22, 2009
- Barbie Doll Camera Boycott Urged By Psychologists - Nov 02, 2010
- New service gives parents control over kids' mobile use - May 21, 2012
- Wikipedia plans various initiatives in India - Nov 18, 2011
- Three quarters of kids aged 5 use Internet every day: UK study - Mar 02, 2011
- Excessive Internet browsing affects mental health - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: australian representative, executive officer, frisby and the rats of nimh, may 24, michelle fitzgerald, morning herald, mrs frisby and the rats, mrs frisby and the rats of nimh, parental supervision, parents council, pitfalls, plot summary, pornographic material, rats of nimh, reading challenge, school audience, sydney morning herald, vandalism, violent acts, wikipedia