Paralysed Chinese gymnast seeks $1.8 bn compensationApril 30th, 2011 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
New York, April 30 (IANS) Sang Lan, a Chinese gymnast who suffered paralysis during the 1998 Goodwill Games, has filed a lawsuit here seeking $1.8 billion in compensation.
In her lawsuit against Time Warner Inc. and the US Gymnastics Federation — organisers of the 1998 Goodwill Games held in New York — Sang Lan, 29, attributed her paralysis to employee’s negligence and demanded a $1.8 billion compensation, Xinhua reported Saturday.
Sang claimed that an employee tried to remove a mat from where she was about to land after an exercise on the vaulting horse. Sang fell and hit her head on the floor, leading to permanent disability for her chest down and the immobility of her two arms and hands.
Sang’s lawyer Hai Ming has blamed the defendants for breaking their promise to take care of Sang.
“Sang Lan has been in a wheelchair for the past 13 years, with no compensatory damages nor proper medical care coverage for her from the injury. She lives on a salary of 1600 RMB a month,” said Hai Friday in an interview with Xinhua.
“She was injured and paralyzed from chest down in 1998 Goodwill Games in New York, as a member of the Chinese gymnastics team. Defendants have evaded liabilities and responsibilities for her.”
- Olympic gymnastics champ Yibing suffers knee injury - Jul 15, 2012
- Chinese coach to train Myanmar gymnasts - Dec 31, 2011
- Chinese man to sue for son's paralysis - Apr 05, 2012
- Former Chinese soccer chief goes on trial for graft - Apr 25, 2012
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Ex-Egyptian bank chief pleads guilty of sex abuse - Jun 25, 2011
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- USA gymnast Dominique Dawes gets her Olympic medal after 10 years - May 02, 2010
- U.S. Open: Robson ousts Li Na - Sep 01, 2012
- Chinatown's criminal organization leader pleads guilty to racketeering case - Apr 19, 2010
- Alicia Sacramone Wins The World Gymnastics Championships - Oct 25, 2010
- Olympic gymnastics: Romania's Izbasa vaults to gold - Aug 05, 2012
- No compensation if staff commits suicide: Foxconn - Jun 09, 2010
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,