Paragliding fest kickstarts in Tamil NaduSeptember 12th, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Yelagiri (Tamil Nadu), Sep 6 (IANS) A three-day paragliding festival started Friday in this picturesque hill station in the southern Eastern Ghats.Flagging off the event, Vellore District Collector Dharmendra Pratap Yadav said the town was a welcome addition to India’s paragliding destination.
“This town has become the third destination for this sport in India after Panchgani near Pune in Maharashtra and Bir Billing in Himachal Pradesh. But the nicer part is that its climate remains salubrious all year round and yet has the appropriate wind speed, height, altitude, takeoff and landing points besides the easy accessibility to the gateway of the south - Chennai,” he said.
Local residents have formed the Yelagiri Paragliding Club (YPC) to help foreign tourists and enthusiasts of the sport. Yelagiri, which is situated 225 km southwest of state capital Chennai, is well connected with roads and is 15 km from the railway junction of Jolarpet.
At the inauguration, paragliding enthusiasts from France, Switzerland and China were rubbing shoulders with local lovers of the sport. YPC also plans to conduct other adventure sports such as rock-climbing, trekking and cycling at affordable prices with the cooperation of Yelagiri Adventure Sports Association, a press communiqué said.
Though the paragliding festival would be held at this time of the year annually, enthusiasts would be welcomed throughout the year, Yadav added.
Yelagiri’s temperature rarely goes beyond 24 degrees Celsius even in peak summer as it is situated at an altitude of about 1,310 metres from the sea level.
The town, which is also known as the poor man’s Ooty (a better known hill station further southwest in the Western Ghats), also has a Mughal Garden and a quiet lake with canoes for boating.
- Paragliding in Yelagiri Hills of Tamil Nadu - Aug 29, 2008
- High adrenaline adventures in Himachal's rugged trails - Jun 01, 2011
- Asin gets adventurous - goes paragliding! (Movie Snippets) - Mar 01, 2012
- 104 more peaks to open in Leh to boost tourism - May 27, 2011
- Himachal's Saach Pass to reopen in June - Apr 30, 2011
- To parasail or trek across jungles, try Himachal (With Image) - May 12, 2010
- Solang Valley, India's newest destination for adventure sports(With Image) - Feb 18, 2012
- Rohtang Pass reopens for traffic - Aug 06, 2012
- Maharashtra to share 50 percent cost of two railway projects - Mar 08, 2012
- Gujarat's Saputara, a getaway among verdant hills (With Images) - Aug 01, 2011
- Ski down grassy Himalayan slopes this summer - Mar 15, 2011
- Fresh snowfall in Manali lures tourists - Jan 19, 2011
- Adventure sports demonstrations to light up puja festival - Sep 17, 2010
- Weekend tourists drive adventure tourism in India (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Paragliding event called off in Himachal - Oct 31, 2009
Tags: adventure sports, canoes, chennai, dharmendra, eastern ghats, inauguration, maharashtra, peak summer, picturesque hill station, poor man, pratap, pune, quiet lake, railway junction, sport in india, sports association, welcome addition, western ghats, yadav, ypc