Paparazzi ‘blitzed’ Diana moments before crash: WitnessNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
Mr Bonnin revealed that the Princess had been tying to ‘hide and sink into her seat’, as was Dodi.
“In the back of the car on the left I saw Dodi al Fayed, I had seen photos of him in the press that summer, especially on a yacht,” the Daily Mail quoted him, as saying.
“He was trying desperately to hide himself, holding on to the safety handle and his right hand was in front of his face.
“I also saw Princess Diana, she was in the back on the right. I recognised her straight away. She was trying to hide too, trying to sink into her seat.
“I also noticed the bodyguard, a young man who seemed nervous and ill at ease.”
He also revealed how the Mercedes screeched off at high speed towards Paris’s Alma underpass when it pulled away.
That was when the scooter, a white motorbike and a light-coloured Peugeot 205 accelerated past Mr Bonnin with horns blaring.
Mr Bonnin drove by the crash scene minutes later and saw people taking pictures.
He identified photographer Christian Martinez as the man driving the car that blocked the Mercedes at the lights.
“What a surprise it was for me to see men who instead of coming to the assistance of the occupants of the Mercedes were rushing towards the accident with their cameras.
He added: “I would have stopped but I was afraid, I left sickened particularly by the fact that people were taking photographs rather than giving help.
“I thought the attitude of the photographers was disgusting.”
Mr Bonnin statement came to light even as French photogs refused to give evidence in the case. They could now be made to appear via videolink.
An announcement is expected at London’s High Court on Monday.
According to the Daily Mail, Justice Secretary of the UK Jack Straw could ask France to insist paparazzi at the scene of the testify at the inquest.
“The Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice will give proper consideration to any approach by the coroner for assistance,” a spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said. (ANI)
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- Tony Blair 'worried for Princess Di' when she started dating Dodi Fayed - Sep 03, 2010
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Frenchman who 'heard Diana's dying words' exposed as a common thief - Nov 02, 2010
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- New book tells story if Diana had not died in car crash - Jan 06, 2011
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- Mohamed al-Fayed claims he torched Harrods' royal warrants - Aug 23, 2010
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- Letter on Di's fears of being killed withheld by senior police officers - Sep 26, 2009
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- French owner wants back car that killed Diana - Sep 07, 2008
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- Lady Gaga has an acute fear of dying - Dec 12, 2011
Tags: alma underpass, crash scene, dodi al fayed, fact that people, ill at ease, mail, mercedes, paparazzo, peugeot 205, princess diana, rear window, scooter, screeched, seen photos, told police, videolink