Panel probing journalist’s killing unhappyJuly 10th, 2011 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 10 (IANS) A judicial commission in Pakistan probing the abduction and murder of journalist Saleem Shahzad has said that people are not coming forward to help it expose the killers.
Justice Saqib Nisar of the Supreme Court, who is presiding over the commission, said despite requests through media advertisements, no one had stepped forward to aid his body, reported Dawn.
All that the commission could get was a call suggesting to approach one ‘Pir Baba’ who would lead it towards the murderer.
Shahzad, 40, was kidnapped in Islamabad May 29 and his body, bearing marks of severe torture, was found in a canal in Punjab province two days later.
He is widely believed to have been seized by intelligence officials for alleging in an article that terrorists attacked a naval base in Karachi after the navy refused to free sailors held for suspected militant links.
Journalists, including Najam Sethi, had been summoned for recording their statements during the commission’s last hearing held in Lahore.
Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has told the commission that directives have been issued to mobile telephone operators to preserve the mobile phone data of the dead journalist.
- Shahzad murder probe panel fails to get phone record - Jul 20, 2011
- Slain Pakistani journalist's widow records statement - Sep 21, 2011
- Panel on Pakistani journalist's killing gets phone record - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistan trying to protect journalists: Minister - Jul 07, 2011
- ISI officials appear before journalist murder panel - Aug 17, 2011
- Pakistan fails to trace journalist's killers - Jan 13, 2012
- Pakistan Army offers to back Shahzad's murder probe - Jun 20, 2011
- Pakistan apex court judge to head Shahzad killing probe - Jun 16, 2011
- Probe violence against journalists, UN to Pakistan - Aug 20, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured and killed (Intro Night Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist freed - Oct 13, 2011
- Anger grows over Pakistani journalist's murder - Jun 01, 2011
- Don't malign us: ISI on journalist's killing - Jun 02, 2011
- Journalist beaten up in Pakistan - Jun 20, 2011
- Pakistan journalists want Shahzad probe panel by June 10 - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: abduction, advertisements, intelligence officials, islamabad, journalist, journalists, judicial commission, karachi, killers, lahore pakistan, mobile telephone, murderer, nisar, pakistan telecommunication authority, pir baba, sailors, sethi, severe torture, shahzad, telephone operators