Palin’s e-mail hacker starts prison termJanuary 14th, 2011 - 2:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 14 (ANI): David Kernell, a student convicted of hacking US potential presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s e-mail during the 2008 presidential campaign, has reportedly begun serving his prison term at a federal corrections institute in Ashland, Kentucky.
The BBC quoted American officials as saying that Kernell had started serving his term from January 10 onwards.
During a hearing in November last year, Judge Thomas Phillips indicated that Kernell’s sentence of a year and a day should be served at a halfway house to reflect the case’s “unique circumstances”.
“Even if the defendant serves his sentence at a halfway house, this combined with a criminal conviction is significant punishment,” he said at the time, adding that it would mark “a sufficient restriction of the defendant’s liberty”.
The hacking occurred in September 2008, when Palin was running as the Republican vice-presidential candidate.
Kernell is the son of a Democratic Tennessee state legislator, reportedly accessed Palin’s inbox, and then shared the details online.
A copy was obtained by the whistleblower website ‘Wikileaks’ that currently leaked US diplomatic cables, and details of her messages were published in several media outlets, the report said.
This caused problems to the Palin family, as they received abusive emails and phone calls. An FBI detailed investigation eventually led to Kernell’s arrest five days later.
Although he was eventually charged with four crimes - including identity theft and fraud - a court in Knoxville, Tennessee, only found him guilty of two lesser counts after a two-week long trial last May. (ANI)
- Sarah Palin e-mail hacker gets one year in jail - Nov 13, 2010
- Sarah Palin's e-mail hacker sentenced to 1 year and 1 day in prison - Nov 13, 2010
- Student found guilty of hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account - May 01, 2010
- Verdict In Deadlock In Sarah Palin Hacking Case - Apr 30, 2010
- Sarah Palin's e-mail hacker convicted - May 01, 2010
- Sarah Palin to testify in a Knoxville court - Apr 21, 2010
- Three Verdicts Established In The Case Of The Hacking Of Sarah Palin's Email - Apr 30, 2010
- Defendant In Sarah Palin Hacking Case Considers Testifying - Apr 26, 2010
- FBI serves warrant to Democrats son over hacking of Palins e-mail - Sep 23, 2008
- Palins e-mail account hacker faces three fresh charges - Mar 10, 2009
- Sarah Palin accused of being a 'paranoid' woman - Feb 23, 2011
- Palin's former staff asks for delay of over 25,000 emails for 15th time - Dec 29, 2010
- Hacker says it was easy to break into Palin''s e-mail - Sep 20, 2008
- Arizona shooting: Palin accuses her critics of 'blood libel' - Jan 13, 2011
- Sarah Palin denies that her bus tour has been canceled - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,