Palin uses Facebook to remove confusion over Sputnik Moment remarkJanuary 29th, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan.29 (ANI): Former Alaska Governor and 2008 Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin understands the history of Sputnik.
That is the case she is making today on Facebook, clarifying remarks made earlier in the week that left some people confused.
In a Wednesday night appearance on Fox News, Palin was asked what she thought of President Obama’s declaration that it is now America’s “Sputnik Moment;” a moment similar to 1957 when the U.S. government, shocked by the Soviet launch of the Sputnik satellite, redoubled its efforts to win the space race.
Palin’s response on Wednesday left some room for interpretation:
“When [The President] so often repeated the Sputnik Moment that he would aspire Americans to celebrate. He needs to remember that what happened back then with the former communist USSR and their victory in that race to space, yeah, they won, but they also incurred so much debt at the time that it led to the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union.”
Was Palin suggesting that the Soviets won the space race? Was she suggesting that the collapse of the Soviet Union was somehow an unenviable result of America’s 1957 Sputnik moment? No. Not according to what she posted Facebook today.
Today, according to ABC News, Palin implies that her comments about the “Sputnik Moment,” were not about America’s perspective at the time, but the consequences of Sputnik for the Soviets. (ANI)
- US marks 50 years since putting first American in orbit - Feb 21, 2012
- 'China may overtake US as premier nation for scientific and technological innovation' - Feb 20, 2011
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Sarah Palin on Obama's speech: 'WTF' - Jan 27, 2011
- Russia launches cosmonaut recruitment drive - Jan 27, 2012
- Obama not doing enough to resolve Egypt crisis: Palin - Feb 06, 2011
- Sarah and Todd Palin laugh off divorce rumours - Nov 11, 2010
- Facebook firm on not commenting on automated removal of Palin Post - Jul 23, 2010
- Who's Who of world signed on his pictures (With Image) - Mar 05, 2011
- Bristol Palin's got a new man in her life! - Jan 25, 2011
- Palin drops to fifth place in GOP 2012 presidential primary race - Apr 09, 2011
- Republicans must try to aspire for Reagan mantle: Palin - Feb 06, 2011
- I stopped book from being leaked, but Obama can't stop Wikileaks' treasonous act: Palin - Nov 30, 2010
- Palin says she could run for president in 2012 - Feb 08, 2010
- Palin blames White House for not supporting Libya - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: abc news, alaska governor, collapse of the soviet union, communist, confusion, consequences, fox news, inevitable collapse, jan 29, launch, night appearance, obama, presidential candidate, sarah palin, soviets, space race, sputnik satellite, ussr, victory, wednesday night