Palin sought alliance with HilaryMay 19th, 2009 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 19 (ANI): A Democratic donor and Sarah Palin’s friend has tried to forge an alliance between the Alaska Governor and US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton.
John Coale, a wealthy trial attorney and the husband of Fox News talk show host Greta Van Susteren, urged Palin to use her political action committee to help retire the presidential campaign debt of the former first lady.
According to the Palin camp insiders, Coale’s broader aim was to help Palin develop a relationship with Clintons that he thought could bolster the polarizing governor’s standing with Democrats and independents.
Palin was open to getting acquainted with the Clintons but was skeptical of using her PAC to help Hilary.
“While we appreciate your efforts and recognize that a friendship with the Clintons is appropriate, the governor believes (and I concur) that using SarahPAC to pay down Hillary’s debt is not a prudent use of the money,” Stapleton wrote to Coale in her February 17 e-mail, a few days after he made his pitch to the governor.
“Contributors who chose between heating their homes and sending in a contribution because they believe in Sarah would be crushed,” the Politico quoted her, as saying.
Coale noted that the PAC could give only 5,000 dollars to help with Clinton’s debt, a modest sum, given the former first lady’s two-million-dolars-plus campaign debt.
Former President Bill Clinton placed a friendly call to Palin after the election, and Coale sought to use that as an opportunity to play matchmaker.
He tried to set up a visit between Bill Clinton and Palin in Alaska earlier this year, but Clinton wound up traveling there through Europe.
Clinton’s spokesman Matt McKenna rejected Coale’s claims that the former president and Palin get together. (ANI)
- Adviser tried to convince Palin to retire Hillary's prez campaign debt - May 19, 2009
- Palin launches website to interact with supporters ahead of 2012 presidential polls - Apr 19, 2011
- Sarah Palin still can't name any influential journalists working today? - May 04, 2011
- Sarah Palin's political action committee raised 1.4 millions dollars in six months - Jan 31, 2010
- Palin raised nearly $500K in just the last month, courtesy new book - Dec 01, 2010
- Sarah Palin on Obama's speech: 'WTF' - Jan 27, 2011
- Sarah Palin Committee raised 733,000 dollars in six months - Jul 14, 2009
- Sarah Palin wants some answers on why Obama contacted Sandra Fluke's parents - Mar 08, 2012
- Wikileaks sympathizers behind website, credit card info cyber attack: Palin - Dec 09, 2010
- Death threats against Sarah Palin at 'unprecedented level': Aide - Jan 13, 2011
- Are the Palin's headed for a divorce? - Aug 04, 2009
- Sarah Palin Fund Declared Illegal, Defense Fund To Payback All Donors - Jun 25, 2010
- Rivals outpace Palin on fund-raising front - Apr 14, 2010
- Palin's trusted aide resigns, to spend more time with family - Feb 25, 2010
- Sarah Palin takes pot-shots at Michelle Obama with s'mores - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: alaska governor, campaign debt, clintons, democratic donor, dolars, e mail, former president bill clinton, fox news, greta van susteren, hilary clinton, matchmaker, matt mckenna, political action committee, president bill clinton, presidential campaign, sarah palin, stapleton, talk show host, trial attorney, us secretary of state