Palin plays old Vs young card: I have been hearing Biden debate since second gradeSeptember 30th, 2008 - 4:13 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept.30 (ANI): Sarah Palin has decided to play the old versus young card against Democrat vice-presidential rival Joe Biden, ahead of their first and only debate on Thursday.
“It’’s my turn now. I”m looking forward to Thursday night’’s debate. I”ve never met Joe Biden. But I”ve been hearing about his Senate speeches since I was in, like, second grade,” Palin quipped to thunderous applause at an event in Columbus, Ohio.
According to the New York Times, Biden, 65, has been Delaware’’s senator for 35 years. Palin, 44, on the other hand is a first-term Republican governor from Alaska.
The vice-presidential rivals will debate at Washington University in St. Louis.
Palin sought to lower expectations by praising Biden as a “good debater”, but she also tried to score some parochial points with Ohio football fans at Biden’’s expense.
“This is the same Senator Biden who said the University of Delaware would trounce the Ohio Buckeyes,” she said, eliciting boos for Biden.
Palin will spend today and tomorrow prepping for the debate with top McCain campaign aides in Sedona, Ariz.
For his part, Biden said he wasn”t worried about coming on too strong in the face-off with Palin and giving the appearance that he’’s bullying a woman.
“I”m so accustomed to debating really competent women, senators and governors,” Biden told the CBS “Early Show.”
“Try debating, as [Barack Obama and I] both did, Hillary Clinton.”
Biden was in 12 debates with Clinton and Obama before dropping out of the Democratic contest.
Palin was underestimated as a lightweight during her run for governor in 2006. But she defeated the GOP incumbent in a primary and won the general election after holding her own in two dozen debates.
And she wasn”t a pushover for questioners.
Palin, during a gubernatorial debate in 2006, was asked what she would do if her daughter were to become pregnant, something that she’’s really had to address this year.
“I would choose life, and certainly I”m quite confident that you”re going to be asking my opponents those same scenarios,” Palin said.
Biden is known as a quick-witted, skillful debater. But he’’s also been criticized as long-winded. (ANI)
- Obama would be 'in good shape' against Palin in potential 2012 Prez race: Biden - Nov 21, 2010
- Hillary Clinton says that she is not interested in being the VP - Oct 07, 2010
- Tea Party star O'Donnell quips she 'dabbled with witchcraft' in high school - Sep 20, 2010
- Sarah Palin' biographer Joe McGinniss to leave her neighboring house - Sep 06, 2010
- Sarah Palin pushes midterm election candidates, teases possible presidential candidacy bid - Sep 18, 2010
- Sarah Palin blasts 'tell-all' campaign book - Jan 11, 2010
- Mitt Romney is backed by Kelly Ayotte - Nov 23, 2011
- Busy Bristol Palin forgets to vote in midterm elections - Nov 04, 2010
- Alaska senator not to support Palin's 2012 US Prez bid as she lacks 'intellectual curiosity' - Nov 16, 2010
- U.S Court of Appeals rules Delaware's lethal injection constitutional - Feb 02, 2010
- Joe Biden to run on 2012 ticket - Oct 12, 2011
- Longtime aide to U.S. Vice President Joe Biden resigns - May 24, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Republican V-P nominee Sarah Palin - Sep 25, 2008
- Palin, Biden train hard for veep debate on Thursday - Oct 01, 2008
- Republican V-P nominee Sarah Palin to meet Manmohan, Zardari tomorrow - Sep 23, 2008
Tags: barack obama, campaign aides, cbs early show, democratic contest, gubernatorial debate, hillary clinton, joe biden, mccain campaign, ohio buckeyes, ohio football, presidential rivals, pushover, questioners, republican governor, sedona ariz, senator biden, thunderous applause, university of delaware, washington university in st louis, women senators