Palin likens herself to Shakespeare with newly coined word ‘refudiate’July 19th, 2010 - 1:40 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, July 19 (ANI): After coining a new word-”refudiate”- Sarah Palin has now compared herself to Shakespeare, for her rather controversial contribution to English language.The former Republican Vice Presidential candidate made up a new word and first used it last week on Fox News’s Hannity show when she called on President Obama and his wife Michelle to “refudiate” the NAACP’s suggestion that the Tea Party movement was racist.
But, it did not end there, for Palin used it again in a tweet addressing the Ground Zero mosque controversy.
“Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn’t it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate,” News.com.au quoted Palin as saying on her Twitter page.
Within hours, that tweet was deleted. A second tweet asked “peaceful New Yorkers” to “refute the Ground Zero mosque plan” and a third suggested rejecting it.
And finally came a fourth tweet, apparently acknowledging her language tussle, where she ended up comparing herself to Shakespeare.
“‘Refudiate,’ ‘misunderestimate,’ ‘wee-wee’d up.’ English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!” she said.
For the record, former President George W Bush used “misunderdestimate” and Mr Obama last year referred to people in Washington being “wee-wee’d up” in August.
Press Secretary Robert Gibbs later tried to explain it away by saying: “I think wee-weed up is when people just get all nervous for no particular reason.”
Palin’s word has already made it onto urbandictionary.com, an online slang dictionary. (ANI)
- Palin's 'refudiate' named word of the year - Nov 16, 2010
- Sarah Palin's invented word 'refudiate' sparks off a 'Shakespalin' trend on Twitter - Jul 21, 2010
- Merriam-Webster Announces Sarah Palin Word Of Summer - Sep 08, 2010
- Shakespalin: Sarah Palin Creates New Word, Tweeters Create New Hashtag - Jul 21, 2010
- Now, Palin claims her record-setting 'refudiate' gaffe was only a typo - Dec 28, 2010
- Merriam Webster Enlists "Refudiate" As Sarah Palin's Word Of The Summer - Sep 08, 2010
- 'Refudiate' just a typo, Palin now says - Dec 29, 2010
- Palin makes another grammatical error by misusing the word 'cackle' in a tweet - Aug 20, 2010
- Merriam-Webster's Word of the Summer is Sarah Palin's 'refudiate' - Sep 08, 2010
- Sarah Palin Asks "Peaceful Muslims" To "Refudiate" - Jul 19, 2010
- Sarah Palin's Coined Word 'Refudiate' Recognized As Word Of The Year - Nov 16, 2010
- Palin says building mosque near Ground Zero is 'unnecessary provocation' - Jul 19, 2010
- 'Vuvuzela', 'spillcam' make their way to 'Top Words of 2010' - Nov 15, 2010
- 'Moving forward' tops list of 2010's most annoying phrases - Dec 23, 2010
- Mosque to come up near 9/11 site amid opposition (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
Tags: august press, fox news, george w bush, ground zero, living language, misunderestimate, mosque, naacp, obama, online slang dictionary, president george w bush, press secretary, robert gibbs, sarah palin, secretary robert, tea party, tussle, tweet, wee wee, wife michelle