Palestinians storm Rafah border crossingJuly 2nd, 2008 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, July 2 (Xinhua) A group of Palestinians has stormed the Rafah border crossing at the Egyptian border with the Palestinian enclave Gaza Strip, the pan-Arab al-Jazeera TV channel reported Wednesday. The TV footage shows that some Palestinians are throwing rocks at Egyptian troops from the Palestinian side of the border crossing.
The Egyptian forces used water cannons to keep the Palestinians from crossing into the Egyptian side. No details of casualties were reported so far, but some people were bleeding during the incident.
The situation has been under control and the Egyptian border guards are still on high alert. The border crossing, which was opened temporarily Tuesday, has been closed after the incident.
Egyptian authorities Tuesday temporarily opened the Rafah crossing for Palestinians stranded at both sides. Some Palestinian patients, students and workers have been allowed to cross into Egypt.
Witnesses said the Palestinians were angry because only a limited number of them have been allowed to cross the border crossing.
It was reported that the Palestinian side had asked Egypt to open the border crossing for three days till July 3.
In January, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians crossed into the Egyptian side through the border crossing to stock up on daily supplies after Palestinian militants blasted the border wall open.
The Rafah crossing, the only Gaza passage to the outside world that bypasses Israel was completely closed in June 2007, when Hamas routed security forces of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and took over Gaza by force.
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Egypt foils attempt to smuggle cement into Gaza - Jul 25, 2010
- Egypt discovers 17 smuggling tunnels to Gaza - Aug 11, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Around 16,500 Palestinians cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 25, 2010
- Egypt opens Rafah crossing for stranded Palestinians - May 15, 2010
- Hamas says political motives behind Gaza's mounting energy crisis - Mar 21, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Hamas team embarks on Arab tour via Egypt - Mar 04, 2011
- Outrage as Mubarak refuses to go, US steps up pressure (Fourth Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Two Pakistanis aboard Gaza aid convoy attacked by Israel (With 10 die as Israeli navy strikes Gaza aid ships) - May 31, 2010
- 10 die as Israeli navy strikes Gaza aid ships - May 31, 2010
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, al jazeera tv channel, arab al, border guards, egyptian authorities, egyptian border, egyptian side, gaza strip, mahmoud abbas, palestinian militants, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian side, pan arab, president mahmoud abbas, throwing rocks, tv footage, water cannons, xinhua