Palestinians ask Israel to amend economic agreementSeptember 9th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Sep 9 (IANS) The Palestinian National Authority (PNA) has officially asked Israel Sunday to amend a 1994 agreement regulating economic relations between the two sides.
The request to review the Paris Protocol came after Palestinians took to the streets in protest against the rising cost of living in the West Bank, reported Xinhua.
“The agreement has a 5-year validity period, but Israel keeps applying its articles and this is a prejudice against the Palestinian economy,” said Marouf Zahran, deputy minister of civil affairs, whose ministry submitted the request.
Zahran added that the PNA wants to modify some articles related to the commercial exchanges taking place through Israel, noting that the needed changes are prompted by the acute financial crisis the PNA is facing and a wave of demonstrations.
The agreement has some articles adverse to the growth of the Palestinian economy. Most notably, under the agreement, any big project in the West Bank is subject to Israel’s approval.
Also, Israel, according to the protocol, levies tax revenues on Palestinian imports and send the money to the PNA. But in recent years, Israel withheld the money several times as a means of pressuring the PNA to give up its political position.
Peace talks between Israel and the PNA stopped in 2010 over a dispute on Jewish settlement activities. But Zahran said that the Palestinian side is ready to send a high-ranking delegation to Israel to discuss the Paris agreement if Israel is ready accept them.
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Yasser Afrafat's body to be exhumed - Jul 04, 2012
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Swiss lab agrees to test Arafat's remains for polonium - Sep 04, 2012
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- More Israelis, Palestinians willing to compromise: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: civil affairs, commercial exchanges, deputy minister, economic agreement, economic relations, jewish settlement, levies, palestinian economy, palestinian national authority, palestinian side, paris agreement, paris protocol, peace talks, pna, political position, ramallah, settlement activities, tax revenues, validity period, xinhua