Palestinian negotiators criticize ex-UK PM Blair for ‘Israeli bias’January 27th, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.27 (ANI): Palestinian officials have criticized former British Prime Minister Tony Blair as being too paternalistic and of having a bias towards Israel’s security needs over Palestinian economic needs.
They accused Blair, envoy of the Middle East quartet, as seeming “to advocate an apartheid-like approach to dealing with the occupied West Bank”.
“The overall tone, without making any judgment as to intent, is paternalistic and frequently uses the style and jargon of the Israeli occupation authorities,” complained a memo by the PA’s negotiations support unit reviewing his proposals.
The Guardian quotes the negotiators as adding that: “Some of the terms (eg ’separate lanes’ and ‘tourist-friendly checkpoints’) are unacceptable to Palestinians.”
Palestinian papers underscore Blair’s quartet role as a high-level middleman, interceding with the Israelis to remove roadblocks, improve movement and access in the West Bank, seek approval for projects and co-ordinate with the US to press for the deployment of PA security forces.
He also passed messages to the Palestinians, including concerns of Israel’s Shin Bet security service about the too-speedy release of prisoners.
But there are signs that the Israelis did not take him too seriously, while PA officials were scathing about his “offensive” language and acceptance of Israeli and US assumptions. (ANI)
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Palestinian official accuses Blair of bias towards Israel - Oct 02, 2011
- UN chief in West Bank to push for peace talks - Mar 20, 2010
- Israel to blame if talks fail: Abbas - Aug 30, 2010
- Palestinian President Abbas UN, EU to draft new peace plan - Jan 01, 2011
- Palestinian leaders agreed to define Israel as a Jewish state - Jan 25, 2011
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Statement by Middle East Quartet - Aug 20, 2010
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- UN report says Palestinian Authority ready for statehood - Apr 12, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Palestinians reject Israeli conditions for peace deal - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: british prime minister, british prime minister tony blair, checkpoints, former british prime minister tony blair, israeli occupation authorities, israelis, london jan, middleman, minister tony blair, occupied west bank, offensive language, pa officials, palestinian negotiators, palestinian officials, prime minister tony blair, roadblocks, security service, shin bet, speedy release, tony blair