Palestinian militants using Google Earth for rocket strikes on IsraelNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:53 am ICT by admin
However, in January this year, after The Daily Telegraph revealed that Iraqi insurgents were using the website to attack British bases in Basra, the company took the rare step of replacing the images of military positions there with others taken before the war.
Google Earth, in partnership with the world’s most advanced commercial imaging satellite the Digital Globe, also responded immediately to provide high resolution photographs during unfolding crises such as the fires now raging in California, the daily reported.
The reports said that in the last six weeks since Israel’s air strike against Syria, Google Earth has provided new imagery of the barren desert along the Euphrates River where the strike is believed to have occurred.
The website has allowed the Washington-based Institute for Science and International Security to pinpoint a complex that, according to them, was likely to have housed a small nuclear reactor, which was capable of making about one nuclear weapon’s worth of plutonium each year. (ANI)
- 'Google Earth can help fight illegal mining in Goa' - Jul 20, 2011
- US cables link China to Google hacking: WikiLeaks - Dec 05, 2010
- Brit nuclear HQ available on Google Earth - Mar 02, 2009
- China to launch mapping satellite - Aug 08, 2011
- Google's eye in sky could catch you with pants down - Jun 11, 2012
- Tamil Nadu woman behind Thursday's microwave satellite project(Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Tamil Nadu woman behind satellite launch Thursday - Apr 23, 2012
- Israel's ultimatum to Obama on Iran n-plans - Mar 04, 2012
- Google Earth helped track illegal mining in Goa - Oct 06, 2011
- Satellites can track human rights abuses - Apr 18, 2011
- Worried US demands China nuclear pact details from Pak - Oct 22, 2010
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Google Earth helps keep tabs on exploitative fish farms - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian remote sensing satellite set for launch (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Pak's secret nuclear weapons programme infuriating US - Oct 11, 2010
Tags: barren desert, basra, commercial imaging, daily telegraph, digital globe, euphrates river, google earth, international security, iraqi insurgents, israel, military positions, nuclear reactor, nuclear weapon, oil facilities, palestinian militants, plutonium, resolution photographs, terror attacks