Palestine’s Unesco membership welcomed in RussiaNovember 1st, 2011 - 4:11 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 1 (IANS) The Palestinian National Authority (PNA)’s admission to the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) is an important step for it to become a full member of the UN, said a senior official of the Russian State Duma.
“This is undoubtedly an absolutely correct and very positive decision,” Xinhua quoted Leonid Slutsky, the deputy chairman of State Duma’s Foreign Affairs Committee, as saying Monday.
He hailed this as “another step along the road of international recognition of an independent Palestinian state”.
The chairman of the committee, Konstantin Kosachev, however, warned that people should not overestimate the consequences of the move.
“It (Palestine’s Unesco membership) is nothing more but a stimulus and a signal to the world states to recognise Palestine as an independent state,” he said.
Palestine’s application for Unesco membership was approved at the 36th session of the organisation’s General Conference in Paris Monday.
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- UAE welcomes Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- US halts $60 mn contribution to Unesco over Palestine - Nov 01, 2011
- United Arab Emirates congratulates Palestine on UNESCO vote - Nov 02, 2011
- UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine - Oct 31, 2011
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestine's Unesco membership reflects global support: Iran - Nov 02, 2011
- UNESCO raises Palestinian flag at Paris headquarters - Dec 14, 2011
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Palestine's Unesco membership may cause financial implications: UN chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestinian membership bid report sent to UNSC - Nov 12, 2011
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
- Israel freezes Unesco funding - Nov 03, 2011
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- India pledges $10 mn for Palestine - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: admission, deputy chairman, foreign affairs committee, independent palestinian state, independent state, international recognition, konstantin, leonid, nov 1, palestine, palestinian national authority, recognise, russia moscow, russian state, slutsky, state duma, stimulus, unesco, world states, xinhua