Palestine’s Unesco membership reflects global support: IranNovember 2nd, 2011 - 6:25 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Nov 2 (IANS) Iran has commended the decision of the UN Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) to grant the Palestinians a full membership while describing it as a sign of international support for their rights.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast Tuesday called on the US to be realistic on the Palestinian issue and not to stand against the “world opinion”, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The ministry also asked the US and its allies not to cast full support for Israel as the “world opinion” considers that as a disgrace.
The Palestinian National Authority (PNA) won a full Unesco membership in a vote Monday at the organisation’s general conference in Paris.
A total of 107 Unesco member countries voted for the PNA’s membership bid, while 14 countries, including the US and Israel, voted against it.
The voting made Unesco the first UN agency accepting the PNA as a full member since Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas applied for a formal UN membership at the UN General Assembly in September.
The UN Security Council (UNSC) has decided to discuss the matter in November.
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- US halts $60 mn contribution to Unesco over Palestine - Nov 01, 2011
- UAE welcomes Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Israel freezes Unesco funding - Nov 03, 2011
- UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine - Oct 31, 2011
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestinian membership bid report sent to UNSC - Nov 12, 2011
- UNESCO raises Palestinian flag at Paris headquarters - Dec 14, 2011
- United Arab Emirates congratulates Palestine on UNESCO vote - Nov 02, 2011
- Iran not to renounce its nuclear rights - Sep 06, 2010
- Palestine's Unesco membership welcomed in Russia - Nov 01, 2011
- Iranians protest anti-Islam movie - Sep 13, 2012
- Palestine becomes a member of UNESCO - Oct 31, 2011
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: allies, disgrace, foreign ministry spokesman, global support, iran tehran, mahmoud abbas, member countries, nov 2, palestinian issue, palestinian national authority, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinians, president mahmoud abbas, un agency, un general assembly, un security council, unesco, unsc, xinhua