Palestine becomes a member of UNESCOOctober 31st, 2011 - 10:41 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Oct 31 (THAINDIAN NEWS) UNESCO admitted Palestine as a member on Monday. Member countries voted to admit the Palestinians into the organization. The decision is seen as a major one which will help the cause of the Palestinians to eventually become a member of the United Nations. The country presented a petition to the UN at the last General Assembly in September.
Israel is opposed to Palestine become a member of the United Nations. During the vote on Monday, 107 member countries voted to admit the Palestinians into UNESCO. 14 countries voted against the motion with 52 countries abstaining from the vote.
In a statement shortly after the votes, the Israeli foreign ministry warned that, “This is a unilateral Palestinian manoeuvre which will bring no change on the ground but further removes the possibility for a peace agreement.”
The Palestinians have hailed the move and they say it will restore part of the rights of the country.
India, China and most of the countries from the Middle East, Africa and South America voted for the motion to admit the Palestinians into the organization. Israel and the United States led the group of countries which opposed the move. Canada, Australia and Germany also voted against the move.
Interestingly Britain and Japan were among the countries who decided to abstain from the vote.
- UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine - Oct 31, 2011
- United Arab Emirates congratulates Palestine on UNESCO vote - Nov 02, 2011
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestine's Unesco membership may cause financial implications: UN chief - Nov 01, 2011
- UAE welcomes Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Israel freezes Unesco funding - Nov 03, 2011
- US halts $60 mn contribution to Unesco over Palestine - Nov 01, 2011
- UNESCO raises Palestinian flag at Paris headquarters - Dec 14, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Israel trying to thwart UN fact-finding mission on settlements - Mar 19, 2012
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- UNESCO executive council votes for Palestinian membership - Oct 06, 2011
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Palestine's Unesco membership reflects global support: Iran - Nov 02, 2011
- Palestinian membership bid report sent to UNSC - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: canada australia, country india, east africa, general assembly, india china, israel, israeli foreign ministry, japan, manoeuvre, member countries, middle east, oct 31, palestine, palestinians, peace agreement, petition, south america, unesco, united nations, vote