Palestine applies for UN recognitionSeptember 24th, 2011 - 1:28 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Sep 23 (IANS) Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas Friday formally applied to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for the recognition of Palestine as a member state of the world organisation, Xinhua reported.
A letter was handed over to the UN secretary general in this regard on the sidelines of the 66th General Assembly session. It urged the UN chief to forward the application to the UN Security Council and the UN General Assembly.
A statement delivered by the Palestinian leader at the general debate of the assembly, was greeted with applause from the packed hall of the 193-nation assembly.
“Time is now for Palestinian independence,” Abbas told the gathering.
“At a time when the Arab people affirm their quest for democracy — the Arab Spring — the time is now for the Palestinian Spring, the time for independence,” Abbas said.
Before his address, Abbas presented the Palestinian statehood application to the UN secretary-general.
“The time has come for our men, women and children to live normal lives, for them to be able to sleep without waiting for the worst that the next day will bring.”
“…for mothers to be assured that their children will return home without fear of suffering, killing, arrest or humiliation.
“…for students to be able to go to their schools and universities without checkpoints obstructing them,” Abbas said.
The Palestinian leader’s 40-minute speech was interrupted five times by applause, including standing ovations.
Membership of the UN is open to nations that accept the UN Charter. The General Assembly admits new member states on the recommendation of the Security Council.
- Palestine applies for UN membership - Sep 24, 2011
- Abbas to submit UN bid after General Assembly address - Sep 23, 2011
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Palestinian membership bid report sent to UNSC - Nov 12, 2011
- India backs Palestine's UN bid, says shouldn't be conditional - Oct 25, 2011
- Russia to back bid for Palestinian statehood - Sep 23, 2011
- UNSC to consider Palestinian statehood bid Monday - Sep 24, 2011
- India reiterates 'unequivocal support' for Palestinian state - Sep 23, 2011
- Palestine seeks India's support for statehood - Aug 25, 2011
- Palestinians deserve state of their own : Obama - Sep 22, 2011
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- UNESCO executive council votes for Palestinian membership - Oct 06, 2011
- Palestine wants UN vote for statehood - Sep 05, 2011
- UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: applause, assembly session, assembly time, ban ki moon, checkpoints, mahmoud abbas, member state, minute speech, palestinian independence, palestinian leader, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian statehood, president mahmoud abbas, schools and universities, un general assembly, un secretary general, un security council, world organisation, xinhua