Pakistan’s Razzaq cleared for World T20 contest: ReportJune 11th, 2009 - 8:22 am ICT by IANS
London, June 11 (IANS) Pakistani all-rounder Abdul Razzaq has been allowed to play in the ongoing World Twenty20 tournament, a media report said Thursday.
The 29-year-old all-rounder will replace injured Yasir Arafat in Pakistan’s World Twenty20 squad, Geo TV said.
“The technical committee of the ICC World Twenty20 2009 has approved Abdul Razzaq as a replacement player for Yasir Arafat in Pakistan’s squad for the tournament,” the report said quoting the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Fast bowler Arafat suffered a hamstring injury during Pakistan’s 48-run defeat against England in their opening match last Sunday.
Razzaq, who played 46 Tests and 231 one-day internationals for Pakistan, joined the unofficial Indian Cricket League (ICL) as a protest against his omission from the squad selected for the inaugural World Twenty20 in South Africa in 2007.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had barred all the 23 players who signed for the League from domestic and international cricket as the ICL was not recognised by the ICC and Board of Control for Cricket in India.
Razzaq cut ties with the ICL earlier this month and was cleared by the PCB to play for the national team.
Razzaq said he was delighted at the prospect of playing for Pakistan again.
“I am very happy and if given a chance I will do my very best for the country,” he said.
Pakistan’s next Twenty20 match is against Sri Lanka at Lord’s Friday.
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- PCB requests ICC to replace Razzaq for injured Arafat - Jun 10, 2009
- Razzaq disappointed over Pak players' omission from IPL 4 auction - Jan 08, 2011
- Kiwi domestic Twenty20 teams target Afridi, Razzaq - May 29, 2010
- Axed Razzaq confident of soon making a comeback - Aug 22, 2009
- Yet another PCB 'confusion conundrum' over replacements for injured Gul, Arafat - Apr 20, 2010
- Kamran, Naved in 30-man preliminary Pak World Cup squad - Jan 05, 2011
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Afridi in, Malik out of PCB's squad for T20 World Cup - Mar 13, 2010
- No Shoaib Akhtar in list of 30 probables for ICC T20 World Cup - Feb 27, 2010
- Pakistan include Akmal in probables for Twenty20 World Cup - Feb 26, 2010
- Akmal rejoicing return to Pakistan team - Jan 05, 2011
- Razzak accuses Ashraf of trying to destroy his career - Feb 22, 2010
- Pakistan announce Twenty20 squad, captain to be named later - Mar 12, 2010
- PCB declares Yousuf, Razzaq eligible for selection in national team - May 30, 2009
Tags: abdul razzaq, contest report, cricket league, day internationals, geo tv, icc world twenty20, inaugural world, indian cricket, international cricket council, last sunday, match, omission, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, protest, rounder, south africa, t20, technical committee, yasir arafat