Pakistani troops kill three militantsApril 13th, 2009 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 13 (DPA) Pakistani security forces repelled overnight militant attacks on their positions in the troubled north-west, killing at least three insurgents, an official said Monday.
The clashes occurred Sunday when rebels targeted checkpoints in Wana, the main town of South Waziristan tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
The area is the stronghold of top Pakistani Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud, who has been blamed for dozens of deadly attacks, including the one that killed former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
“Militants armed with rocket-propelled grenades and heavy arms attacked two posts in Wana, forcing the troops to retaliate with artillery and mortar fire,” a security official said on condition of anonymity.
“At least three attackers were killed and several more were injured,” he said. Suspected militant hideouts on nearby hills were also hit.
The troops did not suffer any fatalities, but one paramilitary soldier was wounded in the exchange of fire, according to the official.
Government administrators in the region confirmed the incidents, but provided no details.
Pakistan’s lawless tribal region comprising seven districts is believed to be full of militant enclaves, which are used by Taliban militants to attack US and NATO troops in Afghanistan.
Western powers say the fight against Taliban cannot be won unless these sanctuaries are tackled. The US has recently increased its drone strikes on Pakistani tribal region to eliminate the hideouts.
Separately, a bomb-disposal expert was killed Monday while defusing an explosive device near the town of Bannu in the adjoining North West Frontier Province, police said.
The bomb was planted beneath a bridge connecting the restive town with neighbouring districts.
- Two US drone strikes kill 19 in Pakistan - Sep 22, 2010
- US drone attacks kill 21 in Pakistan (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- 80 Taliban killed in failed attack on NATO combat post in Afghanistan near Pak border - Oct 31, 2010
- US drone attacks kill 24 in Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 12, 2010
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- 10 killed in US drone attacks in Pakistan - Feb 03, 2010
- US drone attack kills 22 suspected militants in North Waziristan - Mar 17, 2011
- Three children among seven killed in Pakistan - May 13, 2010
- Taliban kill four people in northwest Pakistan on suspicion of spying for US - Feb 06, 2011
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- Pak soldier killed in border clash with Afghan troops - Feb 03, 2011
- Drone strike kills eight in Pakistan - Jun 27, 2011
- Pakistani jets hit Taliban targets, kill 10 - Oct 14, 2009
- Pakistani forces repel Taliban attack, 30 insurgents killed - Mar 04, 2010
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: bannu, benazir bhutto, bomb disposal expert, former prime minister, frontier province, government administrators, heavy arms, hideouts, militant attacks, mortar fire, nato troops in afghanistan, nearby hills, neighbouring districts, north west frontier, pakistani troops, rocket propelled grenades, security official, south waziristan, three attackers, troops in afghanistan